Bangkok pt 2


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
November 26th 2008
Published: December 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

A minibus picked us up the next morning from Phuket and took us on the 4 hour bus ride to Surat Thani and then a Tuk Tuk to the train station. We booked 2 1st class sleeper tickets on an overnight train Bangkok. The next seats available were not for 3 hours so we sat around the station waiting. When the train arrived, we boarded expecting our own private room with bunkbeds but the reality was rows and rows of bunkbeds each with a curtain for privacy. We were not sure about it at 1st but the beds were pretty comfy and it was probably the best way to travel the 12 hours overnight as we slept most of the way. The only problem was the minus 100 degree air conditioning, it was freezing! Arriving in Bangkok, it took 1 1/2 hrs just to get through the city. We jumped in a Tuk Tuk and asked them to take us to Khao San Road. We had spoken to a few people throughout our travels who said the 1st time in Bangkok is always horrible and if you go back again it would be better. Plus where we stayed when we arrived was in the business district, nowhere near Khao San Rd which is where all the backpackers stay. We booked into a hotel and went out to get some transport to Tiger Temple (ran by buddist monks where there are loads of tigers just wandering round and you can get pictures with them). We were told though it was 6 hour round trip and after the 20 hour trip to Bangkok we couldn't face it. We did some souvenir shopping and then went for a few drinks, which turned into several drinks until the wee hours of the morning. We had a really good night and it was true that your 2nd time in Bangkok is much better. Next day we were picked up by minibus to go to the airport as we were leaving for Oz.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0889s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb