Sorry Bangkok...but overall it's a no!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
October 18th 2008
Published: October 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Chatutak MarketChatutak MarketChatutak Market

Sorry, this is the only photo I got...not really a day worth remembering!
Didn't do too much on the 17th. Woke up nice and chilled after the jungle experience, just like a Sunday except couldn't stay in pjamas and was boiling hot outside! Chilled round pool mostly and got burnt by sun! Completely my own fault; didn't realise how hot is was and didn't put enough cream on! Had to get out of sun then and went to American guys bar for final time - got a toastie - don't know when Ill next see one of them!

Overnight train to Bangkok then. Still love overnight train! Had to sleep on top bunk this time, but still ace!

18th = Saturday = Not a successful day!

Got to Bangkok v.early and headed for TAT office to dump our stuff because not leaving until later that night. No suprise that even tough I asked lady at office if they opened early and she did say 'yes', nobody was there. Had to wait outside, in heat, with bags & still tired for about 40mins - not good start!

Tried to head out for food then and got completely lost, which we realised after about 30 mins! Ended up in taxi to main street and got a good breakfast - funny how being fed can cheer everyone up! Watched a bit of the film 'The Beach' over breakfast, really want to watch it again now know is set in Thailand.

Headed out after brekfast and Tuk Tuk man offered to take us to Chatutak weekend market for free...well nothing is ever free I suppose. We didn't have to pay him, but had to agree to go to a tailors and a jewellers - tuk tuk drivers get some kind of fuel tokens for taking people to these places. Only took 20minutes, so was worth the free journey!

Market was amazing and torturous all in one! Not an ordinary market. Really quite posh and alot of stalls looked like little boutiques! Some really gorgeous clothes and cheap too - if only was coming home straight after Thaialand , would have bought the whole place! Ive never been much of a looker...definately more of a buyer! Did really well though and didn't buy anything - can't afford it and can't carry it!

Day defo got worse when tried to get home. No tuk tuks in sight so had to get taxi. He got completely lost, drove round in circles and kept stopping to ask people directions - all the while meter ticking up. Eventually dropped us off on a random street he had driven up and down 3 times! Iris paid him and because shes so nice (and was very stressed at time) paid him full money. Wondered about looking for a tuk tuk and found one... but disaster 2. Started to take us and happily chatting away until showed him address of TAT office wanted to got to. Then he started freaking out and saying they were Mafia - he was genuinely scared of them and said could not not possibly take us - so that was 2nd time got dumped randomly at side of road! Walked a bit more until finally found a tul tuk who could defo take us - hallelujah, because we were running out of time!

Got quick showered before getting overnight bus and then managed to save some dutch girls from the scam that is the TAT. Asked us for some advice when we were outside shop and had to usher them away like secret police so that TAT people didn't here us telling them how bad they are!

After all that, said goodbye to Iris, which was wierd because had been with her for most of time in Thailand and now she going a different way. Was quite sad.

Got on overnight bus to Krabi then. No where near as good as train; just like sleeping on a plane really! Loads of mosquitoes and running out of skin for them to bite now - getting bites on top of bites! Huddled up in sheet and prayed for some kind of miracle that could make it through night without another bite...ha!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.282s; Tpl: 0.028s; cc: 32; qc: 158; dbt: 0.2036s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.6mb