Fear and loathing in Bangkok


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
August 3rd 2008
Published: August 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Packed check-inPacked check-inPacked check-in

I hate queuing
Hey all,

I'm currently sat in an internet cafe in the Sai Tai Mai (Southern Bangkok Bus Terminal). Yes I know, I should be getting on a plane to Phuket any time now. Unfortunately due to a major cock-up there are no seats available on a flight to Phuket for 5 days! Was majorly annoyed and a little panicked to be honest. Fortunately my uni education came to the fore after a cigarette break, rang up my contact and found the best course of action would be to take a bus down to the project.

Next step was grabbing a taxi, think I overpaid a little bit but just wanted to get away from the airport otherwise there would be a murder committed. Paid 500 baht (approx 8 quid) and extra change for the road toll and ended up in the madhouse that is the southern bus terminal. Feeling slightly intimidated as I appear to be the only white person in this place. About an hour ago I booked a VIP bus to get down to Phuket for 1,200 baht. Again this is overpaying slightly but need to get down to the project in time for orientation tomorrow.

The actual bus station is huge and is full of people selling various pieces of tat, meaning that I am very tempted to buy a large amount of it. Had to run away from one stall because there was a lighter shaped like an AK47 with special blowtorch action, really wanted it! I hop on a bus about 5.40pm aiming to get to Phuket about 1-2am.

Yesterdays trip.......

Got to Gatwickabout 5.45am and left my grieving mother outside. From there it was a mega quick check-in due to the fact that no bugger wanted to go to Muscat apparently. Went into the departure lounge after a quick search, no rubber gloves though unfortunately. Had a quick gander round the duty free shops occassionally having to dodge calls for Alicante and Malaga. That would be the worst way to die ever, being crushed by a fat bird from Essex shouting 'Which gate is it Trev?!'
Things started to look up when I went in WH Smith and found the autobiography of Eric Clapton.Score!
Then found place to have a breakfast overlooking the planes. Had Fullers London Pride on tap. Score again!.

Got the call for
BrekkieBrekkieBrekkie

Breakfast of champions!
Muscat and luckily there was a plane waiting for me rather than a bloke on some sort of Wright brothers contraption. Problem with joining the mile high club because at that point my eyes looked like a couple of fried eggs, not attractive.

Grub was the best I've ever had on a plane, tuna steak with some questionable sauce and a little cheesecake thingy. Also had a pretty good chicken sarnie and it was a free bar. Couple of beers and had a doze.

Got to Oman airport, the most uninspiring airport in the world. Found a nice guy called Geoffrey so chilled with him at the bar, a bit camp but that never hurt anyone (Geoffrey, not me). Also a guy called Paul who worked in Oman and kept getting delayed so kept having brandy and coke. By the time his flight was called he was asleep in the corner and almost missed it.

So thats about it, hope it was interesting but not bothered if it isn't.

Until next time......

Joe



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Omani airplaneOmani airplane
Omani airplane

Looks sturdy enough
Young GeoffreyYoung Geoffrey
Young Geoffrey

Holds a pint like a man
Smoking roomSmoking room
Smoking room

My saviour!
The wonder of flightThe wonder of flight
The wonder of flight

Looks like mashed potato, mmmm
Bus terminalBus terminal
Bus terminal

There was a monk sitting there but he used his buddhist powers to disappear


Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0394s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb