Thai Maw-Saage?


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
July 17th 2008
Published: July 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Wat Phra KaewWat Phra KaewWat Phra Kaew

Temple of the Emerald Buddha. Built in the late 18th century.
Fourteenth Stop: Bangkok, Thailand.

After spending over a week in the chaotic and freakin hot Egypt, we were happy to be on our way to Bangkok. We had heard from several people that Bangkok is a dirty city not really worth staying too long in. Surprisingly, this characterization wasn't true at all. Maybe our perspective was skewed by Egypt, but Bangkok appeared to be a relatively well developed city with great (and cheap) transportation and anything us Westerners would...not to mention awesome Thai food!

The only negative with Bangkok, and this is probably true of all of Thailand, is the inordinant amount of similar shops and pestering vendors who can spot us foreigners a mile away. Just walk down even the most innocent looking street and you'll be hit up by a dozen women chanting, "Thai Maw-Saage?" or men offering you custom suits or taxi drivers offering "Tuk Tuk taxi." Would-be entrepreneurs don't appear to be too creative. Every street is filled with almost the exact same businesses right next to each other whether it be a massage parlor, a suit shop, a tee-shirt shop or whatever.

We didn't have a ton of time in Bangkok but we made the most of it. We were able to hit up most of the major sites and check-out some great restaurants with some spicy Thai food!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Me and the Royal GuardMe and the Royal Guard
Me and the Royal Guard

Not very intimidating.
Wat PhoWat Pho
Wat Pho

Temple of giant reclining Buddha!
Wat ArunWat Arun
Wat Arun

Temple of the Dawn


Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.082s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb