Aaaaarrrrrrggghhhhhhh !!!!!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
July 15th 2008
Published: July 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Welcome all,

Fast forward from landing in Bangkok to arriving on Khao San Road (The supposed backpacker hub) in central Bangkok @ 2.00am, It's like walking down the street in Luton after all the bars and clubs kick out, Girls chucking up in the street, take away food dropped everywhere, people zig-zagging down the street and of course the odd place (actually lots) still banging on, you get the picture!!! the only difference being a chick with a d*ck being dragged through the street by some smacked-up pimp!!...nice!....so do you.........
a) Run away screaming
b) Join in the fun...??
c) Go and see the Ping Pong show that was offered to me a million times!!! (trust me, don't even ask)
....Well we did neither as we needed to hunt out a place to stay which at 2.00am isn't the easiest of jobs!! We grabbed the first half decent place that we found and fortunately were so tired that we fell straight to sleep despite the bassline's pounding through the paper thin wall by our heads!! (still we're acclimatised to Fabric Bassline so it rocked us to sleep nicely!!)

So here we are South East Asia where we will cover Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia, Indonesia and Singapore all in the space of 4 months............... Who ever said this traveling business was easy????!!!!! In fact it's quite stressful at times, the other day was spent trying to sort Vietnam Visa's, Plane tickets, train tickets!!!! Our passport's are in the Vietnam embassy right now so praying they don't go missing!!

Nic - Bangkok certainly seems to be a crazy place, stupidly busy, noisy and smoggy....that along with us rushing round like headless chickens has given me the worst cold...an odd thing to have in such heat! So we spent 2 days visiting Wats (Buddhist temple-monastry) Shrines and Palaces...all of which have been totally amazing, ornate, colourful and sparkly...almost to the point of being gaudy - but not quite! The pics yet again really don't do them justice. We also made it out for a few drinks to make up for being lame on our first night....2 for 1 cocktails which explains the cheesy pic!! (and probably the worsening of the cold!)

Dan - The highlight for me was the 'Muay Thai' that's Thai Boxing for those of you that don't know, let me tell you it was fierce!!!! two fighters got knocked clean out and were stretchered off out the ring!! the sounds of the elbows and knee hits is enough to make you cringe!!! let me give you a quick fact punching in Muay Thai is seen as a weak shot, the big points go to the elbow strikes to the head and neck!! despite this Nic enjoyed it (but I think it was only the ritual dances they do before each fight was what she liked!!!)

On the subject of Thai boxing Ryan I'm still anticipating sending you a pair of shorts home to encourage you to start training as you've been um'ing & ar'ing for so long!!!!!!!!

Nic - So after a few days of sightseeing and getting our bits and pieces sorted we jumped on a train up to Chiang Mai in the North.....which broke down and took 17hrs instead of 12!! We're off trekking for 2 days in the jungle tomorrow so until we return....
...Lah gorn (Goodbye!)
xxxxxxxxx

PS.....The food here is fantastic, cheap dishes can be found on almost every street corner...we haven't ventured into a restaurant yet, there's just no need!!..........When they say "hot" though, that's a complete understatement....Our heads nearly blew off the other day!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Bookie at Muay Thai fightsBookie at Muay Thai fights
Bookie at Muay Thai fights

Telling people the latest action and odds!
Nic's new flip flops rubbedNic's new flip flops rubbed
Nic's new flip flops rubbed

so we had to swap, look how funny mine look on her!!


17th July 2008

Excellent guys, would've liked to have read a nice descriptive bit of text on the old 'ping pong show' as I really don't know what that could mean??!! All of the pictures look great, especially the guy laid out on the floor!! Nah, only kidding, loving all of the amazing pictures, blogs and the way you're writing and laying them out. Its good to see that the locals are looking after my Grand Palace while I'm away on business. Can only imagine what you're up to right now. Thinking of you both. Loadsa love!!!!
18th July 2008

hi
Hi to you both great blogs sounds as though you had some great experiances in hong kong and japan ni bet it was fantastic on the bullet train and then sleeping in that pod. Keep safe have a good time in chang mai i loved it up there and the hill tribes keep safe look after each other DAD JOHN XXX

Tot: 0.234s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 25; qc: 112; dbt: 0.2003s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb