Two nights in Bangkok make a hard man humble


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
September 22nd 2005
Published: November 26th 2005
Edit Blog Post

A sweet little airportA sweet little airportA sweet little airport

Ko Samui airport
- FOOD: Breakfast on a 45 minute flight! Red curry in gorgeous restaurant next to our hotel; unidentified but very good street snacks; more good street food for dinner.

- AREA: Cute airport with trees and flowers; park in the middle of hectic Bangkok; efficient Skytrain; river boat to Khao San road past all the sites.

- PEOPLE: Very sweet and smiley old lady running very sweet cafe.


Thur 22nd Sep: I slept really well and then Tania and I headed to the airport to catch a flight back to Bangkok (who needs ferries and overnight buses when you have a spare 50 quid). The airport is SO sweet - a grass courtyard in the middle with wooden huts surrounding it. Trees and flowers everywhere and only 2 check in desks.
We'd had breakfast before getting onto the plane and then were treated with a second breakfast on the plane (not expected on this 45min flight!).

We found a park to relax in briefly near to the Vietnam embassy, did a bit of shopping and then chilled in the cafe next door to our hotel. The old woman running it was so sweet - didn't speak
Strange creatureStrange creatureStrange creature

Park in Bangkok
a word of English but very smiley and our few Thai words put a bigger smile on her face (probably at our crap pronounciation). The cafe had sofas to relax in, lovely red curry and each dish explained in detail. Perfect.


Fri 23rd: A lie in and breakfast next door with the sweet old lady again and then we caught the Skytrain followed by the river boat past the Ko Ratanakosin area with all the Thai Buddhist sites to Khao San Road. This is a beautiful journey with a guide explaining each of the many sites, wats and temples we passed on the way, including the Grand Palace.

We found a road near to Khao San with so many bright, colourful food stalls selling all sorts of weird and wonderful snacks, some of which we got without knowing what we were getting but all was good.
The opticians replaced the sunglasses they'd given me as part of the deal (maybe they had been cheap, street ones as they snapped straight away!) and then I said goodbye to Tania and continued with my shopping and sending 7 kilos back to the UK (bye bye winter clothes)!

I was feeling sad after having spent so much time with old and new friends but when I arrived back at the hotel, Tania was still there! As it's the end of the monsoon season, there'd been reports on Chaing Mai being flooded so she decided to come along with me - YEAHH.
We had a good meal of rice, veg and sweetcorn from the street stalls and then found the REALLY posh shopping centre across the street with everything you could want.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.162s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 73; dbt: 0.1039s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb