Bangkok


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
May 30th 2008
Published: May 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We made our way to our hotel. It was not as luxurious as the Warburg in Phuket but it was clean. We went for a look around our area and saw loads of food stands and pubs and restaurants. Along Sukhumi road there were also lots of market stalls that we wandered around. We were excited to see Subway so we enjoyed a cheap sub for the night.

The next morning after our pancake and rice breakfast we went to find the doctor to find out what was wrong with Neil’s ear. He was given ear drops and 4 different tablets to take daily. We then sent the day relaxing in the hotel and at the rooftop pool. In the evening we had a ‘pizza sub of the day’ again at subway for £1.110 each and walked up and down the market stalls along Sukhumvit road.

On Friday we decided to go and see the Grand Palace so we walked all the way to MBKs shopping mall and were extremely grateful for the aircon. As we still had a long way to go we got a Tuk Tuk. When we arrived at the Grand Palace we were told that tourists could not enter until that day and were told that for10baht (16pence) we could see the Gold Buddha and Golden Mountain as well as a tailors and jewellery shop. Although we were warned of such scams in the Lonely Planet Guide we agreed. On the way to the Buddha the heavens opened and it started to pour down. So we jumped out of the Tuk Tuk rushed to see the impressive Buddha and got straight back on. We were then taken to a tailors and a jewellery shop so that the driver could get free fuel. We then went to the Golden Mountain. As it was raining so hard we were walking through deep puddles, we thought walking up was not such a good idea so we decided to go back to the Tuk Tuk. But it had gone! As we had not yet paid it was not such a problem but we had no idea where we were and had no money and it was raining so hard! We set off to find an Atm and got drenched along the way and saw a collision between a bike and a cyclist! After finally getting money we got in another Tuk Tuk back to the MBK centre. We were soaked from head to toe! We had a look around the thousands of shops and stalls and found the cinema. So we decided to see Indiana Jones as it only cost 2 pounds each! Before the movie began we stood to honour the King. After the film we walked back to the hotel admiring the sights along the way (including the Thao Maha Brahma) and the pictures of the King.

On Saturday morning we got the Sky train to the weekend market. There were soooo many stalls you could get seriously lost. It was so hot but we managed to get some bargains. We then caught the train to the hotel where we relaxed and enjoyed the aircon. In the evening we walked along the markets and enjoyed an 18inch pizza!

On Sunday we went for swim and bathed in the 32degree heat. We then went to the MBK centre where we sent hours walking around seven floors and bought some gifts. On the way home we saw 2 elephants on the streets that you could feed. So we got changed and went for a walk for dinner and to find the elephants again.

Monday was our last day so we decided to once again try to see the Grand Palace. We were fortunate that it was open this time but being covered from head to toe was sooo hot! The grounds were spectacular and we spent some time wandering around. We then caught our last Tuk Tuk back to the only place we knew we could spend our last pennies - the MBK centre. Se we split the money and bought some clothes and gifts. Back at the hotel we went the pool and sadly returned to our room to pack. We had our last meal in a really nice but relatively expensive (compared to subway at least) restaurant called Pomodorro. The food was delicious. We then spent most of the last few pennies buying gits on the market before going to bed.

We awoke late on our last day to make the most of lying in -unlike home! After our last dinner at breakfast time (sweet and sour pork with egg fried rice) we checked out and spent the morning soaking up the sun in the pool. After far too much sun with no cream (which was packed in the suitcase in the luggage room) we went to the markets to spend our all our money. We also enjoyed a traditional subway in memory haha. Feeling rather hot and looking rather burnt we went back to the pool to cool down. We stayed by the pool whilst the sun went down and then got all our bags ready. In the taxi on the way to the airport Hayley had a panic as she could not find the memory cards so we had to go all the way back to the hotel where thankfully we found them in Nils bag in the boot. There was some bad news when we finally arrived t the airport as our plane was delayed for hours, it was due at 00.45 was expected at 0.20 but did not leave until 4am!. The airport chairs were metal and it was so cold o we were not best pleased. We did not get much sleep on the plane and were sad that it was over. We arrived home mid morning the next day and we were very pleased to see everyone, enjoy the food we had missed and enjoyed our comfortable beds!!!!

It was not long before Neil was on the internet planning the next trip to America!



Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0326s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb