Songkran - Wet and Wild - Bangkok


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
April 15th 2008
Published: April 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Truck load of water weaponsTruck load of water weaponsTruck load of water weapons

In front of my hotel - Silom Road

SONGKRAN WATER FESTIVAL - HAPPY NEW YEAR



"Songkran is a Thai word which means "move" or "change place" as it is the day when the sun changes its position in the zodiac. It is also known as the "Water Festival" as people believe that water will wash away bad luck." Songkran is also the Thai New Year.

Songkran runs between April 13 and 15 and they also seemed to have a practice run on Saturday April 12 - so that means four days of being sprayed with water from buckets, huge water pistols and having wet chalk wiped on your face to mark your blessing.

I walked down Silom Road on Sunday April 13th with at least 70,000 people and it was great fun. Complete strangers will hug you and shake your hand while dousing you with water or wiping the chalk on your face and wishing you a "Happy New Year". If you go along with it all you will have a great time. I was here on December 31/January 1 and this is an even bigger party and more sanuk (fun).

Every night was a huge street party and if you went inside a
Street WarsStreet WarsStreet Wars

The kids and adults have great fun
pub you had to hand over your water pistol so that anyone inside could stay dry. It was bedlam everywhere and actually a bit dangerous in the street with the crush of bodies - I hope no one got hurt but I am sure some were trampled in the huge crowds.

From about 9am in the morning the kids will gather on the streets and drench anyone passing by including taxis, motor cyclists and the trucks carrying up to 20 people in the back as they stopped for water fights. Because of the dubious water quality in Bangkok I made sure I had some googles for eye protection - looked a bit strange but in Bangkok no one will worry about that.

The last day of Songkran was a lot quieter and I think most people had run out of energy after four days of walking the streets and partying.

I really enjoyed Songkran and if you get the chance to be here in April then it is well worth the effort. Yes it is very hot but you will have a great time cooling off and meeting more of the wonderful people of Thailand.





Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Silom Road - Sunday NightSilom Road - Sunday Night
Silom Road - Sunday Night

The biggest night of Songkran
Street PartyStreet Party
Street Party

No way to keep dry here
Silom RoadSilom Road
Silom Road

One guest rented a room so they could throw water on the passing kids - great fun
I made it back to my hotel !!!I made it back to my hotel !!!
I made it back to my hotel !!!

My water gun was handy in the street fun
Huge crowds - Silom RoadHuge crowds - Silom Road
Huge crowds - Silom Road

Chalk sellers - Silom and other main centres of Bangkok are a meeting point for kids from the outer suburbs for Songkran fun
Silom RoadSilom Road
Silom Road

Huge crowds !!!


Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0281s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb