Bangkok


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
February 15th 2008
Published: February 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Helen & a street catHelen & a street catHelen & a street cat

Just couldn't resist walking past these friendly little creatures - who nobody else seemed bothered to talk to...
"WOW" - in a word. But it cannot begin to sum up all that Bangkok is. Frenetic, hectic & full of severe contrasts. Between old & new; filthy and clean; ancient & modern; rich & poor. In some ways it reminds me of South Africa - another land of stark contrasts.
The biggest thing that impressed me, or rather was impressed upon me, was the assault on the senses. One could be enjoying the aroma of indian spices, and within a moment it can be replaced by the smell of something that crawled out of a dead rat and died. The sweet smell of braaied pork & chicken mingled with - well I'm not entirely sure - we never did dare find out what that 'other' meat was...
Although this is a massive city & every pavement, road and waterway is teeming with people (& animals - who were petted by Helen at every opportunity), we never felt threatened or at risk of being mugged. The people here are friendly, respectful and full of smiles (& short).
Now for some R & R in Phuket...


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Khao San RdKhao San Rd
Khao San Rd

Bustling streets, market stalls and smells


Tot: 0.037s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0217s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb