"Goog time, Good trip, Good health..." - monk tony


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
October 28th 2005
Published: November 1st 2005
Edit Blog Post

our plane ride was painless esp with the wine and pad thai to hold us over. it was the best plane meal ever. goodbye Vietnam and hello Thailand!!

we took a local bus straight into the mecca of backpackers. it was getting dark and places were filling up so we opted for this one bungaloo for 200 baht = $5. we thought we were getting hooked up with a sweet deal since it is an alley off the main drag. we took the key and headed to our room, which only partly closed with a pad lock, was infested with mosquitos and the window screens (instead of glass windows) were barely attached. good thing stace was able to duct tape us in. we swear it was a room straight out of a horror movie with the light filtering through the wooden walls and all... creepy but we lived - thanks to our mosquito nets. we had to ask for our sheets to be changed (but the new ones almost looked worse) and were told towels were not included for the nasty, shared shower downstairs behind the kitchen.

basically the noise rarely dies down... so, sleepy eyed and covered in
we already love thailand before landingwe already love thailand before landingwe already love thailand before landing

complimentary wine with pad thai... no complaints from the wine-os in the last row
bites, we set out on a mission to find ourselves more civilized accomodations. one thing we've learned traveling is that price does not reflect quality. it's all about location... if you are willing to trek a few more blocks you end up getting a lot more bang for your baht.

the pictures are no where close to explaining the vibe this district had. imagine all the craziness and culture of telegraph avenue and amsterdam smashed into a humid paradise... that's where we are! but this is a touristy area - not all of the city is like this. Bangkok has many temples, Buddhas and city life to explore.

on one of these adventures, we met monk tony who gave us prayer bells, blessed bracelets he made, postcards, and his autograph... so cute!! our title is a quote from him, and it is our new moto. when we asked him to take a photo of us, he proceeded to whip out his personal digital camera and had someone else take it of all of us! we ended up talking to him for so long at the top of golden mountain that our tuk tuk driver (that we hired for a half day of site seeing) ditched us!! haha... his loss, we didn't pay him yet!

real quick, funny story: jessie thought she was taking a photo for some asian family but def wasn't when the two ladies put their arms around her for a quick shot. what?? ohhh, maybe it's the hair?! we were confused but def amused.

heading up north in search of some elephants.

xoxo S & J




Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

beer bong deluxe!beer bong deluxe!
beer bong deluxe!

don't worry... we had one friend to share with.
street food...street food...
street food...

is an interactive experience. you pick from 5 different types of noodles and add all the spices, nuts, etc to your liking... fabulous!
monk tony befriended us... at the top of golden mountainmonk tony befriended us... at the top of golden mountain
monk tony befriended us... at the top of golden mountain

ps: he's famous and he gave us his digits!! score...
how are we ever going to get to our bus platform alive??how are we ever going to get to our bus platform alive??
how are we ever going to get to our bus platform alive??

after running around in the streets for awhile we finally noticed no one else was doing this, silly americans. the traffic is so insane here that they use extensive sky walks above the streets.
kinda like climbing St. Peter's, the Vaticankinda like climbing St. Peter's, the Vatican
kinda like climbing St. Peter's, the Vatican

the tiled roofed buildings are the monk's quarters. any thai citizen can become a monk and live here once they are 21
golden mountaingolden mountain
golden mountain

is topped with a huge bell that monks climb up.


2nd November 2005

Hello
Hi ladies, looks like you are still having an amazing time. The pyramids are magical. Miss you. Keep colecting random conacts adam

Tot: 0.237s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 16; qc: 96; dbt: 0.1607s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb