Farang


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
February 15th 2008
Published: February 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Goodbye China! A bizarre country. Thanks to a snowstorm that stretched from X'ian in the north to Guangzhou in the south (basically top to bottom if your not up on yer Chinese geography!) we only scratched the surface of this gargantuan nation.

The China leg of the trip ended with a ten day stay in Hong Kong. It is a spectacular city but ten days was far too long. Three Irish pubs within walking distance was a big distraction but when charged almost 3.50pnds for a pint and 5.00pnds for a glass of wine, there were obvious limits hence the old buy a few cans from the off-licence, plant it up your duke and discreetly pour into an empty glass!!

As for doing something productive. The rah-rah brigade from Britannia came ashore over 150 years ago and after they were done with their Pimms induced tomfoolery set about building a train which runs to the top of Victoria Peak. When we reached the summit, Ailie almost broke my hand when she saw the view. I must admit, that on deciding that it would be nice to have lunch next to a window with a 1000ft drop, i was not prepared for hanging on to the table as if i were falling backwards. After a few San Miguel's i would have happily done a Highland dance on the roof!

Other things...Space musuem. Got roped into dinner at a dodgy Pakistani-Indian restaurant with murals of Mecca on all four corners. Chinese New Year parade which was total mince. Eileen would have been most furious. Firework display the next night was very good but our view was restricted by the Intercontinetal Hotel. Few nights at the Kowloon Renaissance Hotel living the life waltzing about the place wearing my huge dressing gown, slippers at pipe blowing bubbles like Garth in Waynes World. Also did a harbour cruise at night time when a symphony of lights is projected from dozens of skyscrapers.

And that is us now in Bangkok! Arrived last night and at the suave Rembrandt Hotel as a generous gift. We are now at Sivalai Place which is a little away from the center but, for a tenner each a night, its five-star stuff! Plasma screen, sofa, swimming pool, three tennis courts, health club, sauna, pool table, table football and a karaoke club! And its 90 degrees!

Ryan and Ailie

Advertisement



Tot: 0.037s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0187s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb