Bangkok: Kicks on Khao San!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
February 10th 2008
Published: February 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Two full days in!

We were eased into our first full day in Bangkok by meeting up with a couple of other lads who are travelling. They were doing a pretty similar thing to us and after chatting with them at breakfast, we decided to head out with them.

They had tried the previous day to go to the Grand Palace, but had arrived outside of its unusual opening hours - so that was top of our itinerary for today. After checking out the tourist office, it was decided we would head across town to the weekend market. Despite being in a taxi for over an hour (Bangkok traffic is like London on acid), it cost us only 100 baht between four of us, about 30p each!

The market was absolute carnage, stalls were selling absolutely everything and anything. A bit like Khao San Road, although it could be a little intimidating, it was the atmosphere that made it. I bought some flip flops, and we came away happy. The photos really provide all the description needed.

Next we headed to the Grand Palace. This place is the picture postcard everyone sends from Bangkok, and its not hard to see why! Everything is lined with gold and jewels - it is pure extravagance. Temples and statues literally as far as the eye can see. It was impossible to put our cameras down, hence why there are probably a lot of boring pictures to sift through (and why I still haven't got them all uploaded).

That night we went out on Khao San Road. After having some authentic Thai cuisine (American Club Sandwich), we headed to a bar. A sign outside said 'Strictly Over 20's', but they didn't seem to mind 2 minors dressed in three-quarter lengths and trainers. We watched some Thai guy with an acoustic guitar bang out a few Oasis covers (despite not knowing, or being able to pronounce half the words), and then moved on.

After a fair few more drinks, everyone headed back, and so did we. Walking smashed down Khao San Road is an unforgettable experience. Or so it would be if we could remember. If last night has taught us anything, it is that alcohol is expensive, and makes you miss breakfast.

Today, as our mates had departed, we were on our own. After finally getting up, we took a taxi to the Temple of the Dawn - Wat Arun I think its called. Again, it was another amazing structure, although had steps so steep I nearly bottled it on the way down. Not what you would call wheelchair accessible.

After that we checked out the Reclining Budda, which is a big, fat concrete Budda painted gold, chillaxing. He is a bit like a cross between Hampson (size) and Garfers (afro). What Pho (sp?) which houses him is almost as impressive as the Grand Palace. I don't really have the articulateness to do it justice with words, so you can just look at the pictures and believe me that it was well wicked.

Later this afternoon we went to the MKB centre in downtown Bangkok. If Bangkok traffic is like London on acid, well this place was like Merry Hill on steroids. 7 floors of madness, with proper shops, market stalls, cinemas and more phone shops than the bad end of Wolves. It even had a floor devoted to nerds, with Pokemon card shops where fat Thai kids would sit and play. The most impressive part however was the food court. You were given a credit card on the way in, would select your dish from one of the many themed (very posh) stalls. The card would be scanned, and you would pay on the way out of the court, it coming up on screen exactly what you have had. I decided on the crab, so one was plucked from the tank and killed. But I changed my mind, and decided I didn't want it afterall. (Thats a joke, but I did see a crab get shanked).

We ended the day with a quick walk down to the National Stadium which happened to be close by. The stadium itself is nothing to write home about (hmmm irony), but what struck us was the great sporting atmosphere around it. There was a badminton arena next door, also an astroturf and a gym. The locals just seemed to be enjoying sport in a way you don't see very often back home. They weren't doing it to shed pounds, or to get into a team etc, they were just playing for the joy of it. Right outside the front of the stadium was a group of oldish men playing a form of keepy-uppy with a wicker ball. We have since discovered the name of the game, a real Thai tradition, but it escapes my mind just now. After taking a few snaps of them playing, they invited us to join in. For the first time in the trip it was the sort of connection with locals that you just don't get on a normal holiday. Obviously they were dazzled by Paul's and my silky skills. After 10 minutes we bid our farewell and got a taxi back, it was a really great way to end the day. Although if you ever find yourself playing this game - heading the ball isn't recommended!

We have paid for an extra night in our guesthouse, and we are bussing out (on a train) to Kanchanaburi bright and early in the morning. For those of you not familiar with Thai related World War 2 trivia, that is where the Bridge over River Kwai is. Made famous by books and films of the same name. From there we will hopefully pat a tiger, and swim beneath waterfalls.

So tonight we will say goodbye to Bangkok, probably by having a meal with Paul's sister and friends, as they also depart in the morning. I am up a corner in a little internet cafe now, and they are probably waiting for me, so for now, (insert whatever goodbye in Thai is).

P.S: This hideously slow computer isn't letting me upload any pictures. Hopefully Kanchanaburi will be better on the internet front and Ill be able to get everything pictorially up to date!

P.P.S: Boooo! McCarthy Out.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0553s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb