Night Party at Academy Island


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
February 4th 2008
Published: February 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Meeting Jenny's ClassMeeting Jenny's ClassMeeting Jenny's Class

The kids were so excited to see us. It was sooo cute.
This evening we had the special privilge of going to a fundraiser at the school were Jenny works, Kasintorn Academy. It was way out in the suburbs and I think that it might be one of the best travel experiences we've ever had! It really makes a difference when you get out of downtown and see how the locals kick it. We brought Jenny's kindergarten class a King Cake for Mardi Gras and got to go up to her class before the talent show. They were so excited to meet Jenny's brother. They started jumping all around the room and ran up to us and shook our hands. One little boy tried to take off his shirt and fell on the floor. It was hilarious. A little girl named Fern looked in Nolan's bag and said Cake? These kids know treats when they see 'em. They have been studying opposites and they held up their hands way in the air and said Nolan was so tall. He showed off by touching the ceiling and they all said "whoa." They danced all around us and jumped up and down.

We headed out to the Night Party and only then did we
Miss Jennifer and the kidsMiss Jennifer and the kidsMiss Jennifer and the kids

They couldn't stop dancing and jumping around it was hard to catch them in action!
realize what a huge event this was going to be. They had carnival games set up along one side and a huge boat that was serving as a stage. They had over 100 tables that each sat 8 people. We sat a table with a Thai couple and they were very nice, although they did not speak English. Each class performed 2 dances, first a dance to a thai song, and then a dance that they learned with thier English teachers. I don't know how many Thai children you have gotten to see, but until you see 500 kids dressed in different costumes; you aren't living. It was the most adorable thing. Think the King and I times 100! Some of the older students performed traditional Thai theater and really did a great job.

The show lasted about 4 hours and it was awesome. The whole time the kids were performing, the catering company kept bringing out food. There was sharkfin soup, egg rolls, 2 kinds of dumplings, fried snakehead fish, beef consume', noodles, chicken with water chestnuts, shrimp and veggies, and some weird coconut tapioca dessert. The table was set up with all kinds of drinks and dipping
King CakeKing CakeKing Cake

So children all over the world know sweets when they see them. Fern, one of Jenny's favorites, was not shy at all about figuring out what we brought them.
sauces all on a lazy susan. It was really cool to try so much Thai food in one experience.

We decided to call it an early night, to try to battle the jetlag. Hopefully one good night of rest and tomorrow we will be ready to party. Kimani should get into town around midnight tomorrow. We love Bangkok! It is alot like New Orleans-kinda dirty and run down, but welcoming and a whole lot of fun. Bangkok is our kinda place. Can't wait to get to the islands, I hear the water calling. It must be the Pisces in me.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Night Party at the AcademyNight Party at the Academy
Night Party at the Academy

This was the side gate at Jenny's school. They had the entire fundraiser set up in the back yard. We meet her principal, was very nice.
How CuteHow Cute
How Cute

The stage from our seats. There were so many tables set up!
The Party from the StageThe Party from the Stage
The Party from the Stage

Here is a view of the party from the stage area. It was huge!
The SpreadThe Spread
The Spread

This was just some of the food that was included in the ticket price. It was definitely worth it. This was just the first round and the food kept coming all night.
Jenny's class Dancing to EscapadeJenny's class Dancing to Escapade
Jenny's class Dancing to Escapade

Jenny choreographed a dance to Janet Jackson's Escapade. It was funny to see the kids singing along.
Jenny with her class after their English DanceJenny with her class after their English Dance
Jenny with her class after their English Dance

Some of the families dress up the boys like girls. They put lots of make up on some of the boys. It was a very different tradition when it comes to performances
Traditional Thai PerformanceTraditional Thai Performance
Traditional Thai Performance

The secondary school also participated in the concert. Sorry the picture is blurry I had the camera set for motion, but you can still see how beautiful the costumes were.
Thai PerformanceThai Performance
Thai Performance

Sorry this picture is dark. It took me awhile to figure out to turn off the auto flash since the stage had lights.


5th February 2008

Cool
Hey yall. This travel blog thing is pretty cool! Keep the blogs coming. Glad you are having a great time. Nolan's sister looks like Nolan's sister!
5th February 2008

ohmigod
those little pink costume dresses are too cute!
5th February 2008

sweeet
Hell Yeah Night Party Rocked!!!!
12th February 2008

That is nice. I wish I would have mace it to this event. Cool. Kimani

Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.042s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb