Day Five: Bangkok


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
January 13th 2008
Published: January 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Bangkok: Sunday, Jan. 13th

Chatuchak Market: redux

Having caught our bearings yesterday at the market, we decided to take it easy and sleep in. This means we were having our coffee by about 7:45 am and checking e-mail, blogging, etc. The Asha Guesthouse has a shuttle that leaves for the market at 10:00 am, so we have lots of time. We're planning a stealth mission to go get some t-shirts and a shirt that Kim has her eye on.

After going a little blog crazy, and Kim doing her makeup, we look up and see that it's now 10:10 am. I think this means that we lose the "stealth" part of the journey and we head out on foot up to the market for the second day.

Kim's shirt is gone, but I manage to get a cool shirt with a picture of a drumset and the saying: "One Hit Wonder" on it. (After all, The Pocket Co. has sold sevens of albums worldwide, so...it's somewhat apropos).

It's a pretty quick trek through the market, but I did snap a funny picture of one of the little shrine/temples that I mentioned earlier that appear in the oddest of places. What makes this one funny (to me at least), is that the shrine has all sorts of offerings to Buddha around it, and this one had about 18 bottles of Fanta Cream Soda (all with straws - and completely full) around it. Yes, there was incense as well, but who knew that Buddha was a sucker for Fanta? Good to know...(note to self: change Gods).

We're getting a wee bit worn down now (I know, I know...insert weepy violin music here), so we spend the rest of the afternoon in the bar area for more Chang, and Kim swims for the first time this visit. The pool is really tiny, so she just kind of floats around while I read my new book (every guesthouse has a book exchange. I traded in "The Day of the Jackal" for "Foundation & Earth" by Issac Asimov - it's great! Kim is reading "Water For Elephants" (thanks Erin!)

The King of Thailand & Will Smith in IMAX

The heat is pretty insane in Bangkok. It's not so much the sun as it is the humidity. This, plus crazy pollution (you can literally taste the pollution in Bangkok. Always keep water with you), makes you filthy and gross within an hour. Tonight, we decide to give in and go see a movie at the Siam Paragon.

Siam Paragon is that huge mall where we had the mediocre meal. I have to reiterate that Thais love, absolutely love their shopping malls. I hate malls with a passion. I don't like the environment, and I have a hard time with mindset of the people that you navigate in malls. BUT - this mall is like a penthouse suite and there really aren't any "mouth-breathers" to shoulder your way around. Plenty of room and super clean.

There's a massive cinema on the top (6th) floor that houses an IMAX theatre in addition to the other regular theatres. A huge lobby that sells beer (sidebar: why can't I shake these last few pounds?), and a ticket to an IMAX movie costs only 250 baht ($8.61).

What we're really looking for tonight is air conditioning!!! The fact that "I Am Legend" is playing in IMAX is neither here nor there for us. We really aren't looking for a "reminder" of home or any kind of Western experience, but remember - BSI: Off The Charts.

There are less than a dozen other people in the theatre with us and in IMAX, that makes it an intimate affair. We're already halfway through our popcorn and Fanta when the screen comes on and everyone jumps to their feet. (really, it was abrupt enough to make me wonder, "WTF?!")

On the screen, for about a minute and a half, a tribute to the King plays showing images set to very royal music. It ends with "Long Live The King" printed on the screen....and then the trailers begin. (BTW, the new "Batman" looks pretty damn good).

A note about the King:

The only thing that the Thai people love more than shopping and Fanta, is their royal family. Having grown up in a Commonwealth country, you're aware of royalty, but there is a huge difference between the deference given to the Royals in England than to the King of Thailand.

We read in "the book" that the King is highly regarded, and this fact was reinforced when we arrived at Asha. The owner (a Londoner with Thai grandparents) told us that if we were drop any money on the ground to never, ever put your foot on it to stop it from blowing away. The image of the King appears on all currency, and we're not supposed to crumple our bills in any way. As well, we were advised that it's just good policy to not even discuss the King at all.

It's considered sport to make fun of the Royals in England, but you could seriously get shot for doing it in Thailand. The King's picture is everywhere. Absolutely everywhere. He's considered to be a demi-god.
There is a complete suppression of criticism of the King and the Royal family in Thailand. It is a family dynasty that has ruled since 1782 (Chakri Dynasty).



Tomorrow: The Grand Palace (I'll admit it, we've started to have a bit of a thing for the King ourselves), and then the overnight train to Chaing Mai.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.007s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0291s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb