The Boys of Khao San Road


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
December 1st 2004
Published: December 1st 2004
Edit Blog Post

khao sankhao sankhao san

sweet home khao san road. where the skies are blue.
ooh laa. we're back from thailand and it was one hell of a road trip thanks to a bloody thunderstorm going on in region of surat thani/koh samui/koh phangan.

as most of you already know, this trip was planned mainly for the full moon party (koh phangan), supposed to have taken place on the 26th of november.

hagen,renga,tong ling,sonny and i left for thailand on the 24th of nov,5pm. hadyai was peaceful and great when we got there the following morning, after a 14 hr bus ride. fact: bloody newspaper (the straits times) listed hadyai as one of the most dangerous places to visit now, along with iraq!

some thai lady in hadyai told us 'no go phangan, no go phangan' (or something along those lines) but didn't explain why. 5 hour ride from hadyai to surathani where it was raining so bad, got out of the bus and the ferry service guy tells us there's a massive thunderstorm going on and we can't get to koh phangan for the full moon party which is gonna get cancelled anyway

19 hours in the fucking bus and no full moon party?

there were hardly any other options
drink red bulldrink red bulldrink red bull

red bull. for the thai man in you.
than to head to bangkok, which is exactly what we did. we hung around the travel agency thing (which was quite decent actually) from 1pm - 7.30pm doing nothing but watch the rain and the many coach buses coming by with scores of american/british/aussie travellers decked out in their beach best, being greeted by the same party pooper we met, telling em 'no go phangan! thunderstorm! ' it was a good laugh really.

10 hour coach ride to bangkok was crazy. period. raining so fucking much (lightning every 5 seconds or so), driver was one heck of a speed demon, thought he was gonna kill all of us. saw coupla trucks overturned on the road, possibly from skidding off the road.

went straight to khao san road as soon as we got there (there aren't much options in bkk really). checked into this place called d&d inn, seemed one of the most decent joints on the stretch. came with a swimming pool for about USD$6 a person a night.

bangkok was all about food and drinks,fun and joy, meeting a whole lotta travellers at the club - some really interesting yet weird swedish ones.

hagen and i were playing 'tranny-or-not?' half the time, we love that game. someone should introduce it to pre-school children.

here's the link to most of our pics from the trip: yahoophotos

next stop: delhi 08/12/04

comments pls!






Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0332s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb