Mislead


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
October 11th 2005
Published: October 11th 2005
Edit Blog Post

So, we received a few comments from readers disappointed about the content of the blog. Apparently you wanted to read about this, and we posted something about that. You expected yin, and we gave you yang. Well, all I have to say about that is phooey on you!

Just kidding of course, but in all seriousness (not that you can see me), but writing this blog is well, harder than it looks. I apologize, but sometimes I'll either purposefully or accidentally leave things hanging. For example, long-time readers are probably still expecting me to post a list of the contents of each of our bags. Well, that's probably not going to happen, though at the end Sherry and I thought it would be fun to look at our bags and figure out just how many things we've dropped/picked up along the way.

e.g. Sherry dropped her Chacos when were in BKK for the 2nd time. Sold 'em for 2.50 USD. Yesterday I bought a pair of Chinese 'military' shoes for less tha 1.00 USD, but I've yet to drop any shoes. I'm lugging around 5 pairs for crap's sake! Worst packing decisions, for me at least: Teva's (surprisingly not useful) and a rash guard for surfing (haven't used it, even though I've surfed twice).

Anyway, to get back on track, one reader commented that they'd like to know more about the world's deepest gorge, 'Tiger Leaping Gorge' in China. Well, there's not much to say really. First, we were there, and there were signs proclaiming its depth of 3900 m. For those of you that like to divide by 10s, that's like 4 km. For those of you that like to divide by .6s, that's like, well, a bunch of feet. Well, I'm here to tell you that the gorge didn't look that deep. It was pretty impressive to see the Yangtze rushing through this gorge. There _probably_ were some pretty high mts. above us, in the clouds a bit, and I guess, if you measured from our spot (6000 ft elev at the bottom of the gorge btw), to the top of a tree on some mountain 50 miles away, you might get 3900m, but it'd be a bit of a stretch.

More interestingly, we've had 2 or maybe even 3 people as us on the trip what a 'gorge' is. Having been educated as a geographer I of course redirected the question to Sherry. It's a canyon or as one guy said, a place where there are two big mts. right up next to each other and there just happens to be a river running through it.

We had another postnig asking about the Terracotta Warriers in Xian. Great question from Aunt Sharon (hi Jennifer, hi Savannah). These are life-sized (or even larger?) clay warriers (hollow from the waist up) assembled in battle formations protecting the tomb of an ancient Chinese emporer. I can't remember his name. The site was impressive to see, and we learned that the figures weren't discovered until the 1970s. Most of the figures had broken, but they've been painstakingly reassembled. Interestingly, you're not supposed to take flash photos at the site, but as with other regulations in China (no smoking for example) this isn't enforced.

My friend Brian who is spending the summer and fall walking, he calls it hiking, from Canada to Mexico, emailed to defend the posting of complaints and general 'bitchiness' of some of my blog postings. According to Brian, who is maintaining his own journal, painstakingly typed in on some kind of battery-powered Fisher-Price text-only applicance, so-called 'journey' journals that lack widespread complaining are untruthful. So, there you have it, at least one voice in support of complaining. Isn't that a little bit what this thing (the blog) is for anyway? ; )

Finally, a bit about our travels. Isn't this what you're reading for? We had a really cool day+ in Chengu. Pronounced choung-DU. We met up with Sherry's friend Jonathan who has lived in China for 5 years and his wife Leia. She's Chinese and he also speaks Mandarin and we just poked around Chengdu enjoying the fact that we could go off the map in our guidebook and visit restaurants and places without english signs/employees and not feel completely lost. Of course, both J and L are not from Chengdu, and we learned that even if you speak Chinese, you can still get lost in a Chinese city.

Highlights:

Many many thanks to Jonathan for he and Leia showing us around. We left them just starting a 2 month experience seeing China. They're very excited about this, having done something similar to what we have done, leaving work to see what's out there. Jonathan also took some pretty sweet photos of the pandas, which I now have on our ipod courtesy of this cool gizmo that he had that let us take photos directly from memory card to ipod. With the new photo ipod that we have (it's only broken and re-fixed itself twice on our trip!) we can even view the photos on the unit. Technology is amazing.

Have to go. Those of you out there that are still reading might be interested to know that inet costs ,75 to 1.00 US per hour in this neighborhood.

Sherry and Cory

PS - Sorry, no photos yet. Will post soon. Tomorrow AM we'll wake up in Stockholm, Sweden refreshed from our 10.5 hour flight.

Advertisement



11th October 2005

critical feedback
Count me among those who enjoy the complaining--it comforts me in my windowless office with three computers that I have a rich life consisting of Internet surfing and ESPN College GameDay. Also, I need more details about the less savory parts of the trip e.g. "Sherry paid the price the next day however.."--what exactly does that mean? How many trips to the loo? I'm just afraid as the trip moves on to western Europe, there will be less crapping and barfing. But, as always, that's just me....
11th October 2005

That's bullshit!
You will be happy to know that I have been sharing your chinese experiences with Eager. Everytime she reads one of your 'Cory-isms' on China she replys "That's Bullshit!". I of course laugh and tell her to shut up. Keep blogging and maybe I'll see you again one day. ps. Try to go to Chinese strip club. Take pictures!
11th October 2005

Stockholm
I know stockholm pretty well at this point. Go the Absolute Ice bar and have a drink. It's right around the corner from the SAS Royal Viking Hotel. This hotel is just outside the central train station. Also, ride the elevator up to the top of the hotel and have a drink in the sky bar. I have been drunk up there many times enjoying the views to old town. If you get into old town visit the old map shop. You will know it when you see it. Shaw
11th October 2005

good one
wow ohhh ahhhh thanks for putting great effort into this one waiting paiently for pics enjoy elin and europe love ya
17th October 2005

complaining travel journals
Brian is right, travel has it's ups and downs and travel journals that only report the ups are only telling part of the truth. Now, I don't want or ask for graphic details, but reading about the downs as well as the ups makes for a better experience for the "armchair traveler" (as they say). Keep it up, good travel blog.

Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0384s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb