Sawadee Kop (hello) from Bangkok


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
May 23rd 2007
Published: September 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Well we arrived in Bangkok safely but whether we survive this city could be another question. The pungent smell of gasoline is the first thing to hit your senses, followed by the buzz of overly congested streets.

Checking into our hotel provides us with some protection from the chaos of the city. After a good night sleep I am ready to tackle what this massive town has to offer.

Our first mode of transport is a long boat down the canal, however I warn you it is not for the hesitant. Armed with a massive V8 diesel engine it rockets into the jetty where you are expected to jump on quickly whilst keeping your balance. This is the least touristy form of transportation so you need to keep your wits about you, there are no signs or english speaking guides to hold your hand. After 15min speeding down the canal we realise we have no idea where or how to get off. Thankfully a local next to us understands our call for "MBK" ( a massive department store in the middle of the city) and we learn that we have been travelling in the wrong direction.

Our next and more successful attempt to get around is on a Tuk Tuk. Imagine a three wheeled scooter with attitude, exposing us to the streets of Bangkok in the open air. Our driver shows us the many sights, temples and souvinier stores even though we only asked to get to the nearest travel agent. Not to matter, this is one exciting way to experience the city and the no rules culture of the road.

The next day we go for a tame tour bus to the floating markets and the Tiger Temple. The floating markets is a gentle paddle boat down the canals where you are a surrounded by small markets stalls on canoes. Whilst most items are tourist soveneres, the rich colours of the scenery is a wonderful sight.

Tiger Temple is also a rare treat where you enter a compound with tigers for a pat and photo. The tigers have been brought up by Buddhist monks where they live peacefully with them amoungst the temple.

Of course the gaps between adventures is filled with the constant perusing of street markets and department stores for a cheap buy or rip off. Bangkok is like learning to swim in the deep end, exciting but exhausting. I can't wait for a Thai massage on the beach at our next stop...Puhket...




Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.269s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0465s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb