Bangkok Dangerous


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
September 3rd 2007
Published: September 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Permanent Rush Hour!Permanent Rush Hour!Permanent Rush Hour!

Bangkok never stops
So we finally managed to get the photos off the floating camera! This entry is backdated a bit as we didn't want to do another text only update... a few photos makes it more interesting!Arriving in Bangkok after an 11 hour overnight flight we were greeted with one of the longest and most disorganised queues known to man, all the inbound flights must have landed at once as the queues for passport control were worse than trying to get a beer at an Artic Monkeys gig. Once finally through passport control we emerged into the baking heat, jumped in a taxi and within half an hour were in central Bangkok settling into the beautiful Amari Watergate Hotel It was a little bit of luxury and well deserved after the long, long flight... how people carry staright on to Oz i don't know, they're more patient than me that's for sure!

Not feeling very adventurous we decided to eat in the hotel bar for the first night, after a couple of jugs of beer and meeting a few folks we were flying through Bangkok on the back of a Tuk Tuk to Patpong with an Irish air steward! LOL. Some things never change!
Muai Thai BoxingMuai Thai BoxingMuai Thai Boxing

Patpong style
After a few games of drunken games of Jenga and a visit to see the Thai version of Tom Jones it was back to the hotel for some much needed rest.

After a "quiet" first night we headed down to the MBK shopping centre to pick up the now infamous floating camera and pick up a few DVDs and other tat (there's a very wide and varied choice of tat, all of it, well... tat! LOL) A short run through the food hall left Hels in a bad way, so a trip to McDonalds was in order, she's promised to try a bit more as we go along, but anyone who has ever seen Hels after a night on the town knows she's unlikely to be adventurous with food the next day! LOL. That night we meet up with a lovely couple from Belfast called Brendan and Julie, so it was back to Patpong for a few drinks and an impromptu spot of Thai boxing.. Hels nearly took a kicking as the guys really went for it so we moved away to safer distance!

Next day we got up early and paid a visit to the Grand Temple and the
Grand PalaceGrand PalaceGrand Palace

Golden Watt
Reclining Budda, it's all very breath taking, extremely beautiful and extremely hot.... the photos really do the talking....

That evening we joined up with Brendan and Julie for a river boat meal and cruise, with traditional Thai food and dancing, we got to see the sights at night and it was all very beautiful light up. After saying our goodbyes and wishing each other all the best on our respective travels we retired for the evening, leaving Brendan and Julie to head out to Patpong and pick up where Hels and I left off! LOL

After a good nights kip we headed to the Khao San road for the day, Hels liked all the little stalls selling bits and pieces and got a few tops for the beach, i picked up a cheap portable DVD player (like a discman) and another stack of DVDs to keep us busy on the quiet nights. While browsing the stalls, who should we bump into but Brendan and Julie, so a day at the Khao San turned into a night on the Khao San and good times were had by all before Hels and I retired to the hotel to get ready for the mornings bus ride to Ko Samet, where we now reside.

All in all, Bangkok was fun, but it is what it is, hectic, a bit dirty a bit seedy, but somewhere really worth experiencing although we won't be rushing back.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Hels makes her first friendHels makes her first friend
Hels makes her first friend

But he doesn't look to interested does he?
Grand Palace by nightGrand Palace by night
Grand Palace by night

The view from our riverboat cruise
Good CompanyGood Company
Good Company

Julie and Brendan, Hels and John, Khao San Road - Our last night in Bangkok


Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0371s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb