Travelling begins..........


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
August 21st 2007
Published: August 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hi all,

Well where do we begin.

Arrived Bangkok 12th August along with both Humphrey and my parents. We spent 4 days fantastic days getting to know each other and sampling the sights, sounds and smells of Bangkok. From foot massages to touring the Grand palace the stay was really pleasant. We got into the spirit of haggling on everything, which is just the way out here as well as being ripped off by the infamous tuk tuk drivers, who manage always to do it with a smile!! My mum and dad headed off to Chiang Mai on Thurs 16th morning to continue their travels through Thailand. Humphrey's parents returned home to Bangalore after 4 months in Japan. Our last night alone in Bangkok, Humphrey and I decided to make use of the luxury of the hotel before we set off with our backpacks exploring south east asia and spent several hours in the open air jacuzzi followed by Singha beer and some thai cusine!! Perfect!!

Frid 17th August - Tuesday 21st August
Check out hotel and off we head by local bus to Khao Yai National Park, 3 hours east of Bangkok. Only 1 hour into the throws of backpacking and already I was complaining my backpack was to heavy and that I wished I had taken less stuff!! Surprised?????? After many modes of transport we eventually reach the centre of the park after 5 hours. A lush dense forest full of wildlife. I reckon I need to throw myself into the travelling lark and opt to camp. Humphrey was grinning from ear to ear. Yes everyone camping you did read right. The sleep wasn't the best to be honest but i felt perfectly safe and loved the feeling of being part of nature. Humphrey obviously is a pro at this. The following day we spent the day exploring the park on the back of a pickup truck with Doik, our guide along with her 'brother' who wanted to be her sister! and her son, OT (4 years old). He spent the whole day chatting away to us in Thai, not knowing what he was saying we nodded, ahhh, awwed and smiled. Amazing how this form of communciation works. By the end of the day we were all best friends. The park was full of wonderful waterfalls, stunning views and amazing wildlife. We did a night trail in the back of a pickup truck with a flood light to see what we could see in the jungle at night. Only managed to spot deer and a wild dog. The following morning however we set off at 6am to walk through the heart of the jungle. We were joined by a guy from South Africa who was travelling on his own. Aparently best time to catch a glimpse of some of the thousands of animals living in this part of the world. And didn't we just. From a crocodile to a igwana, gibbons, lots of different birds, giant grizzle squirrel, to name but a few. It was really worth the early rise.
Tent was dismantled and off we head now to Kanchanaburi for 4 days. Local bus took us to Bangkok and then another to Kanchanburi, some 6 hours later. We arrived in the night with no accomodation booked. After a few awful pits of guest houses, we end up in a gorgeous (surprise surprise) resort 10 km just outside Kanchanaburi. It is truly paradise. Sits right on the River Kwai. Humphrey is quickly realising that I am a creature of comfort, only 2 nights of roughing it and that was enough for me ha ha. We spent yesterday relaxing, swimming, lounging about. It was bliss. Today we kayaked for 2.5 hours down the River Kwai. After nearly knocking myself unconscious with a huge branch of a tree which we somehow managed to end up entangled in, the rest of the ride was me navigating in the back with Humphrey upfront receiving orders to go left or right. Was great fun and an amazing way to see the River Kwai.

More updates to follow.

Love to you all
Humphrey and me xx

Advertisement



21st August 2007

Glad to hear you are both having a ball! Sounds amazing. xxx
13th September 2007

Jealous!
You guys are having it good. Humphrey never wanted to be a part of the corporate jungle. I guess he's had some experiences and seen some things that we would never even dare to dream about. Enjoy the rest of the trip guys..........

Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0572s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb