Living Large in Bangkok


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
July 12th 2007
Published: July 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Wednesday July 11

Today was basically a travel day. For a variety of reasons, mainly airline connections, our itinerary left us with a half day in Bangkok. Not much you can do in a half day - so we had decided to “live it up”.

We had made a reservation at the Oriental Hotel! When most travel magazines and travel books compile their “Best in the World” lists, The Oriental consistently ranks in the top 10 hotels in the world. It IS an experience - incredible service and attention to detail. Wish we could afford to travel this way all the time.

We arrived at the Oriental about 12:30 PM. After checking-in and settling in our room, we decided to have high tea in The Authors Lounge. Unbelievable. Then we went out shopping for a few hours in the area around the hotel. Nancy finally found the hammered stainless steel pieces she was looking for.

We headed back to get cleaned up for dinner. We had made reservations for a dinner cruise on a restored/converted teak wood rice barge. It was through the Manohra cruises at the Bangkok Marriott Resort. It had a set menu of traditional Thai dishes and the cruise on the Chao Phraya River lasted two about hours. We took The Oriental’s shuttle boat over to the Sathorn pier, where we were picked-up by the cruise. It was great - the areas along the Chao Phraya look much different at night when they are all illuminated. The cruise dropped us off at the pier next to The Oriental. It was very relaxing.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



15th July 2007

Welcome Home!
Glad you had fun, and can't wait to see more pictures! You DO need to come home now...I need a babysitter Wednesday night. :o) Missed you! xoxo, M.

Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0835s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb