Wats Up??


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
July 2nd 2007
Published: July 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

"Hello Pancake", "Hello Noodle", "Hello Taxi"!! Just a few of the uncanny greetings we've received from the Thai people(specifically street vendors) since our arrival two weeks ago, that has seen us visit Bangkok, Koh Samui, Koh Phangan and currently Koh Tao.

Bangkok was as fascinating as it was enjoyable. Our own view after spending 4 nights there, is that it is a city of contradictions. Here is most of what we experienced in a nutshell

Humid, chaotic, busy, rancid smelling, noisy and claustrophobic, yet its occupants exude a perpetual sense of calm, and are both extremely calm and patient. The manic Tuk Tuks emit choking pernicious exhust fumes; their drivers think they’re auditioning for a chase scene in a James Bond movie, yet only metres above their head is the modern ‘Sky Train’, air conditioned, punctual and spotlessly green, many regard it in a city plagued with transport gridlock as a monument of transport efficiency. Gold leaved Ornate Wats sit lavishly side by side with impoverished shanty dwellings constructed of refuse timber. Westerners reside in the dilapidated tenements that are some of the hostels on the Khao San Rd., or in Deluxe hotels that perform in the premier league of world class hospitality and catering. In shops the most up-to-date technological gadgetry is merchandised beside paraphernalia associated with millennium old superstitions. The Thai people are bashful, subservient and obedient, they strictly comply to the code of Kreng Jai(respect), yet become solicitous, dogmatic and intrusive within the sleaze circus of the Neon illuminate Pat Pong or Soi Cowboy. The street vendors operate their tiny culinary enterprises in the shadows of skyscrapers that house the corporate wizards of S.E. Asia. I’m sure you all get the drift at this stage.

We saw all the sights, sipped beer in the afternoon monsoon, attended a Muay Thai fight, even went for a massage in a reputable school of Thai massage (There’s a story about this, its been saved for the pubs back home)!!

After Bangkok we flew South to Koh Samui, with its beautiful beaches. Again this is a mixed bag. Its been aptly described as a ‘Beautiful lady who wears to much make up’. It’s heavily developed yet has beautiful beaches and landscape. To surmise, you can happily eat a Burger King, KFC or McDonalds meal on a picture postcard beach. We met Paddy, Sharon and Alex here, so it catered perfectly for our piss up!! After staying in the Sukhothai in Bangkok(“Good evening Mr. Gorman, would you like your Bed Turned?”), we came back down to earth, and crash landed in a 8 Euro beach hut(We are backpackers after all, not traveling dignitaries). We also met an English couple here, David and Claire, and had the craic with them. All in all this was like your normal sun holiday back home, so I’ve nothing out of the ordinary to tell.

Got to go now. I’ll be updating this in the next few days with our tales from Koh Phangan and Koh Tao. Pictures also.

Apologies for taking so long to put this entry in, but we were to busy in Bangkok, and to relaxed on the Islands!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Tuk TukTuk Tuk
Tuk Tuk

The Tuk Tuk drivers go insane driving in the Monsoon rain!


Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.029s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0782s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb