What's the capital of Thailand?


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
June 24th 2007
Published: June 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Bangkok is the answer, of course.

We arrived at the (business and filth) hub of South East Asia after a marathon 20 hours of flight. As we stepped out of the taxi, we were assaulted with a foreshadowing of things to come in Bangkok (busy streets and the combined smells of sidewalk chicken and sewer stench). While the "City of Olives" ( I didn't see a single olive there) is an assault on the senses, it is also an eye-opening cultural experience (which is why we travel in the first place).

Our first day was spent in a rather unusual fashion: we went to get fitted for custom tailored suits. A friend of a friend of a friend recommended the cloth house of Rajawongse (alternatively known as Jesse and Victor's). This is not your usual tailor, however. Jesse (father) and Victor (son) are two Indian Thais running this business started by Victor's grandfather. From the first moment we stepped into the tailor shop, we knew it was something of legend.

Victor welcomed us as we entered the door of his unassuming shop on Sukhamvit Road, Bankok's business district. After we informed him that we were looking to be fitted for suits, Victor offered us beers, and asked where we were from. Immediately, he knew our grad school's Dean, as well as a slew of other students from my school who had previously been fitted for suits and the like.

It turns out that Victor is probably the most well networked man in the entire world. You've heard of six degrees of separation? Well, try two degrees of Victor. Among the list of clientele, here are some of the most notable: the past three presidents, a cadre of spies and US agents, visiting US executives, and Dave Sweeney. See for yourself - http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2004-07-19-tailor_x.htm.

With our suits in process, we ventured out to our first Thai lunch. We eventually agreed on the uncharacteristically named "Cabbages and Condoms," which functions as an excellent Thai restaurant and a front for a well known AIDS prevention non-profit. The organization is completely legit, and the man who started it even received a Gates award for his efforts in preventing AIDS. The food was spectacular (some of the best we've had on our trip) despite the prophylactic undertones.

For the rest of the day, we walked the streets of Bangkok to take in the city and get a real feel for what it was like. Again, more chicken/sewer smell. We also realized that in Bangkok, everything is for sale (and on sale). Block by block, we inevitably passed pushers of many kinds: pirated DVD vendors, street food carts, elicit night club salesmen... etc. Bangkok is a unique place in this world, and though the sights (and smells) may be at first unappealing, it's an experience nonetheless.



Advertisement



3rd July 2007

Ahhhhhh!
My two favorite "C"'s!!!!! On another note, my bro got a custom made suit while he was traveling in Italy. Remeber, The tailor DOES NOT have to "cup" in order to get your measurements!

Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0356s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb