A Grand Hangover At The Grand Palace


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
April 12th 2007
Published: April 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After Cambodia we headed back to Bangkok. The only sight we really wanted to see was the Grand Palace, and having four days we figured we´d have plenty of time to squeeze in a visit. However events seemed to conspire against us. On our first attempt we were rained off, and being sugar mice decided to spend the day lounging about in the hostel instead. On our second attempt we managed to make it to the Grand Palace only to find out it as closed because of Song Kran (Thai New Year). A number of locals had stopped us along the way and told us that the Grand Palace was closed, but being well informed travellers we knew that this was one of the many Thai scams and so ignored everyone! Our only option was to visit the Grand Palace the morning before we flew to Sydney - it would be a rush but we´d manage it.

Unfortunately (or fortunately!) our last night in Bangkok was a boozy one and I know no-one we believe me but Paul was definitely to blame! There are so many cool bars on and around Koh San Road that it´s hard to resist. Two of our favourite bars were in the strangest places. The first was a disused (?) petrol station, complete with petrol pumps, cute tables and candles. The second, which was dangerously located next to our hotel, served drinks from an old VW campervan painted bright pink!

So, accompanying us on our trip to the Grand Palace in 35 degree heat were two painful hangover (no, we´ll never learn!). The Grand Palace itself is a huge complex of Wats (temples) and royal residences. We spent a good 2.5 hours wandering around all the sights (turning our noses up at the miniture reconstruction of Angkor Wat - been there done that). Highlights included the famous Emerald Budda, which is much smaller than you expect for such a sacred figure, a beautiful Wat which I nicknamed the Hansel and Grettal temple because it looked totally edible and the gold Garuda statues painted in bright colours and pulling funny faces.

We just made the flight to Australia, but it was a close run thing - our parting gift from Thailand was fearing for our lives as the cab driver started to fall asleep whilst doing 160 kph on the highway! At one point he actually pulled out a pair of tweezers and started yanking out his beard hair to keep himself awake!!!

NB: Sorry there´s no pictures on this blog, but finding a DVD reader in Bolivia is an impossible task! Hopefully they will be added at a later date!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



5th June 2007

Bars
I can picture those exact bars now - sigh!!! Which hotel did you stay in?
8th June 2007

We stayed at..
..the place next door to where you recommended - Lampu House. It was cute and cheap but didn´t have a pool, although it pi$$ed down the entire time we were in Bangkok so would have been wasted! Glad to see you´re finally back on the radar - guess school´s out for summer!!
10th June 2007

Not yet...
Not yet, but only four more days and counting!!!

Tot: 0.22s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0623s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb