Floating Experience


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
February 6th 2007
Published: February 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Floating MarketFloating MarketFloating Market

Loads of exotic fruits and haggling!
Another early start to visit Thailand's largest (apparently) floating market at Damneon Saduak in the Rajburi canal - 1 hour's drive outside Bangkok. First stop was an orchid farm and sugar factory. Then we took a long tailed boat down the canal to the floating market. Great views on the way of the local's way of life and their traditional stilted houses. Nearly got wet - mainly for tourists but still reflects the true colours of Thailand.

Then joined the rat race in one of the many paddle boats to barter and haggle for goods. Nick is an expert at this now - I am still struggling! It was a bit of push getting down the canal as we seemed to be going in the opposite direction to all the other boats, until you become hooked (literally) by a market seller trying to capture your attention. Bought lots of mini bananas - this is now our staple diet!!!

Back in Bangkok
In the afternoon we took the public boat across to Saphan Taksin, where we then took the sky train to Sala Daeng where we had lunch at a healthy-eating Thai cafe. We then walked to the business district, with lots of modern high rise buildings - and then in a traditional western manner enjoyed a tea at Whittards! (Yes there is also M&S, Boots and Body shop etc - oh and did I mention Tesco)!

In the evening we took the Express elevator up to the very exclusive Banyan Tree hotel to the 62nd floor to enjoy a drink in the world's highest open air restaurant/bar. Fantastic night view of the city lights for miles - highly recommended - but expensive if you had more than one drink! Orchids displayed everywhere - Ellie got given one with her cocktail! Enjoyed an hour of luxury before catching the sky train & public taxi back to the guesthouse - got dropped off the wrong side of the river - but luckily managed to find another boat across - after a few Thai conversations.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Banyan Tree HotelBanyan Tree Hotel
Banyan Tree Hotel

Very exclusive!


Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0235s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb