Bangkok!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
July 14th 2005
Published: July 16th 2005
Edit Blog Post

oxride.jpgoxride.jpgoxride.jpg

This is us (in the hats!) on our ox cart about to ride along the rice fields!
Bangkok has been great so far. We arrived on Thursday and eventually (delayed for over an hour in a cue at immigration) made it to our hotel which is so luxurious (and yet much cheaper) compared to what we were getting in Europe! We had a little shop in the massive big shopping mall downstairs.

Friday we had our Khao Yai National Park Tour. We had a very early start and headed out to this rural market in Nakhon Nayok. They had revolting stuff - there was this funny smell, and they were selling gutted catfish and snakes. We had been curious about what a Durian would be like - it is this big prickly fruit and the hotel has notices saying you cannot have them in the hotel at all because of the smell! However, we could not face the thought of food after the market.

Then we went on an Ox cart ride round in some Rice fields. It was very daunting when the 2 oxes guiding our cart started heading for one of the bogs to cool down! Then we went to the National Park (if you went directly it would be about 2 and a
market.jpgmarket.jpgmarket.jpg

This is the rural town market we went to - just some exotic fruits in the picture - not the disgusting stuff.
half hours drive from Bangkok) and went to see the Haew Narok waterfall down (and back up) steep steps in the muggy extreme heat.

Next we went and had a Thai food lunch - very good Thai soup. Then we went on our elephant trek! Unfortunately, it started completely bucketing down just after we got onto the back of our elephant! We got handed an umbrella. We were rather concerned of being struck by lightning when thunder started and we were sitting high up with a pointy umbrella on top of a large elephant in a stream!

After the trek we fed our elephant bananas that we bought from the market! It was neat.

Saturday we went on a temple tour. We went to Wat Trimit to see the Golden buddha, then to Wat Pho for the very large reclining buddha (which takes up almost the entire temple) and Wat Benchamabohit, the marble temple.

All we have planned left is shopping so this will be the end of the travel blog!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

waterfall.jpgwaterfall.jpg
waterfall.jpg

Caleb by the waterfall in Khao Yai National Park that we walked to.
elephant.jpgelephant.jpg
elephant.jpg

Caleb and I feeding the elephant bananas!
calebelephant.jpgcalebelephant.jpg
calebelephant.jpg

Caleb and the elephant mucking around
goldenbuddha.jpggoldenbuddha.jpg
goldenbuddha.jpg

The Golden Buddha - 5.5 tonnes of solid gold.
temple.jpgtemple.jpg
temple.jpg

Outside Wat Pho temple
fitemple.jpgfitemple.jpg
fitemple.jpg

Fiona outside Wat Benchamabophit - the marble temple.


Tot: 0.036s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0182s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb