Bangkok - The City That Never Sleeps


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
January 6th 2007
Published: January 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hi folks!

Thought we would make a post on here while we had chance. Since we arrived in Bangkok on new years eve its been all go. We have pretty much travelled the length and breadth of Bangkok and are now officially Skytrain and Riverboat experts hehe. Both can be used as a cheap method of getting around the city with day tickets for both costing 100 Baht each (about 1 pound 40 pence).

Over the last 6 days we have had a few looks around the city center which is immense and is packed with people all the time (not unexpected in a city which holds 10 million people). Every taste is catered for, from little shops in side streets to designer boutiques where the unwary traveller could blow their whole budget on a 'cheap' handbag.

What really struck us about the city though, is the way you see both sides of Bangkok at the same time. You can find temples next to department stores and busy crossroads full of traffic next to quiet parks. It really is quite amazing.

Today we've been on the Chao Phraya river exploring the riverside areas of the city, probably the highlight of which was a visit to Wat Pho - a place full of temples and home of the famous Reclining Buddha (the biggest Buddha statue in Thailand).

By the way, if you haven't seen already, we have uploaded lots of pictures (well 17 total now) for you to view in the Gallery section of this blog. Just go to Gallery, then Misc and view them from there. We look forward to hearing what you guys think, especially after we teased you all this time with no piccies.

Tomorrow we head up to Chiang Mai for a few days so we'll give you an update some time afterwards.

Bye for now

Rik and Vik

Advertisement



Tot: 0.037s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.02s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb