Bangkok - The Gravitron of Asia


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
January 3rd 2007
Published: January 3rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

View of BangkokView of BangkokView of Bangkok

A very diverse city
Day 3 ... after today all I can really say is that Bangkok is like the gravitron at the fair. There is lots of noise, sometimes you feel dizzy and sick, overall it is a lot of fun but after a while you need to get out. After meeting up with Dave and Barry we decided to go check out Patpong ... Bangkok's infamous red light district, home of the ping pong show. We didn't actually take in a show, even though there were lots to see. It was a crazy market with vendors asking 5 to 10 times the actual price of goods. We got to see Barry's bartering skills in action. Whenever we saw a vendor running down the street chasing someone yelling "OK your price good" you could bet he was chasing Barry. We spent most of the night sitting on a corner watching all the people going by.

The next day we went to another temple that offered a great view of the city. Wandered around some side streets, went to Jim Thompson's House (one of the first foreigners to live in Thailand). At night we went to Soi Cowboy... the other red light district... for a beer. It was very different than Patpong. All the girls out on the street, trying to entice everyone in.

Today we went to China town. It was insane ... so crazy busy. Dave summed it up best as the worlds biggest dollar store.

Just heading out to grab some dinner now. We are all safe... there has been no bombs near us. The military and police are very present. We are taking the train tomorrow north to Chaing Mai.




Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Making BowlsMaking Bowls
Making Bowls

We came across this family making metal bowls. When we said we were from Canada he got really excited and pulled out a bowl of Canadian pins/flags/coins saying he loved Canada. I checked and it was the only country he had a bowl from.
MBK CenterMBK Center
MBK Center

The craziest mall ever.
So many shoesSo many shoes
So many shoes

Blair would be in heaven
Nap TimeNap Time
Nap Time

Even the vendors need to get away from it sometimes
DogsDogs
Dogs

There are dogs every where ... they never beg for food and seem quite healthy. Most bear a striking resemblance to Amber.
Military ForceMilitary Force
Military Force

The military has been out in force since the bombings. The middle guy looks like he needs to lay of the Phad Thai a bit though.


Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.042s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb