Wat Pho


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
November 24th 2006
Published: November 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Today we first caught a cab to Wat Pho (Temple of the Reclining Buddha). It is 46 meters long, with its head 15 meters high. Each foot is 3 meters wide and 5 meters long. The soles of the feet are inlaid with mother of pearl showing the 108 auspicious signs of the Buddha. It is impressive and the favorite of Scott for Thailand so far. It is so large it is hard to get a good picture of it. The grounds around the Vihara containing the Reclining Buddha consist of halls to house the other 394 gold Buddha statues sitting in the attitude of subduing Mara and various pagodas dedicated to former kings.
Before talking about the next place of viewing I would like to talk about how HOT it is here today. They say it is 92 degrees, but with humidity it feels like 102. When we were leaving the hotel it was raining yet still very warm. By the time we reached the first temple it had stopped raining but the humidity (70%) remained. I was very sweaty and sticky all day. Not what I expected for November weather in Thailand. Thank goodness our hotel air conditioner is in great working order.



Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.429s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 25; qc: 141; dbt: 0.1868s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb