First three days


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
November 20th 2006
Published: November 24th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Temple of Dawn (2)Temple of Dawn (2)Temple of Dawn (2)

Temple of Dawn (2)
Hi all, sorry for this late first post, a tight time schedule made it difficult to get on the web sooner.

We kicked off our trip around the world in Bangkok, Thailand on thursday 16th of november. After an 11h flight from London to Bangkok, our pick up service took us to New Road Guest House, a typical backpacker place.

So far, Bangkok looks like the most chaotic city in the world: traffic is crazy, food stands and little shops are stuffed all over the city and people start talking to you to sell the weirdest things. Luckily everything is ridicilously cheap so you can try all the food they have, dinner on the streets will cost you about 20 baht (1 baht = 1 Belgian frank = 0.02 euro).

Next to eating and finding our way through the little streets and shops, we tried to see some of the endless amount of temples and buddha statutes Bangkok has to offer. Walking your way through this chaos is impossible (definitely with temperatures of easily 35 degrees), so we decided to go by 'tuk tuk'. This could be described as something in between a scooter and an old-school riksja.
Floating marketFloating marketFloating market

Floating market
The driver told us he would take us from one point to another and wait at every stop, all together for 20 baht. Seemed like a great deal at first, until we realised he didn't only show the requested highlights but also every costume shop in the city.

After escaping this tourist trap, we did most of the exploring by taxi and boat (on the Chao Phraya, the main river of the city). On the third day we also went on a little boat trip on the Khlong, a network of little rivers and canals through the city. This was a great way to really see how people live here. U see a lot of poverty in the wooden houses on the water, but also inventive things like 'floating markets': little boats stuffed with all kinds of food who sell at the door.

Another funny thing about Thailand (and totally different from Belgium!) is that people totally adore their king. You see pictures of the king all over the place and people all wear yellow -the royal colour- because this year the king will be on the throne for his 60th year. By the way, some of you
Temple of DawnTemple of DawnTemple of Dawn

Temple of Dawn
who have been in Bangkok before might be wondering if we didn't go to the royal palace... Well, we were about to see this main attraction of Bangkok on the final day, but heavy rain showers made us postpone this to our second visit to Bangkok in February.

So far our Bangkok experience, we'll try to add some pictures later on. After Bangkok, we left for a 5-day jungle trek (from which we just returned now, post very soon hopefully).

Nick & Steven






Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Wat IndrawihanWat Indrawihan
Wat Indrawihan

Wat Indrawihan
Boats on the Chao PhrayaBoats on the Chao Phraya
Boats on the Chao Phraya

Boats on the Chao Phraya
House on the KhlongHouse on the Khlong
House on the Khlong

House on the Khlong
Bangkok street image with tuk tukBangkok street image with tuk tuk
Bangkok street image with tuk tuk

Bangkok street image with tuk tuk
CheeseCheese
Cheese

Everywhere you go: take your shoes off!
Wat SraketWat Sraket
Wat Sraket

Wat Sraket


24th November 2006

Am I jealous!
Sounds great fun! Never been on a jungle trek, hope you did't get bitten or eaten by some weird creatures. For what it's worth, be always carefull when they offer you some cheap deal...like they say, there is no free lunch. Use your bible=guide book,they usually warn you what to avoid and listen to your fellow backpackers. But above all enjoy everything to the fullest even the rough times..its an experience of a lifetime. Take care and escape routine!!
24th November 2006

Da zit drij dagen int buitenland en da kan al geen vloms meer!
24th November 2006

Sorry Maggie, kwas vergeten da gij den enige waart in belgie da geen Engels verstond.. The antwerp is on de poal!
24th November 2006

hey!
hey nick! wow ur trip sound amazing! let me know if u come to southamerica Have a great time! mwa!
24th November 2006

ook in limburg ligt het Engels gevoelig
hela amai, wat een schoon foto's. ge kunt niet geloven hoe jaloers ik ben. voor mij begint het echte leven maandag... beginnen werken bij criminele jongeren. Ik zou zeggen, geniet ervan, maar als seksuologe wil ik toch nog vlug één ding kwijt: pas op voor vieze ziektes daar ;) grapje hè nicky. Groetjes en have fun
24th November 2006

Schoon frisse kopkes manne!
25th November 2006

hey guys, thanks for including me in your travels. i hope the 20 baht lunch is better than the 30 euro kabob in barca. i wish i could be there to join in the fun. be safe and stay out of the bath houses. nick, you both have an open invite to the states and i promise to charge less than the avg. hostile:) i hope you guys know karate.
25th November 2006

But but...Witte, you've lost your hair! What happened? Who did this to you? Other than that, you seem to be having fun! I wouldn't recommend eating everything they offer on the streets...Haven't been sick yet? No roaches spotted yet? Have fun, but make sure you don't bring any strange diseases with you to our dear Belgium...
25th November 2006

Amaaai
Ik wou dak er bij was, maar ja, iemand moet de economie in België draaiende houden he!
27th November 2006

fun fun fun
ie barry's, ziet er daar al stevig zalig uit he! zondag zijn we ook weg seh, tot in peru ofzo he! barry bakker
1st December 2006

yo thoonen! ziet er sjieke boel uit daar! btw: kunt ge mij de adidas copa mundial meepakken ... schijnt da die daar goedkoop zijn :) t amusement! (vlg week hou ik u op hoogte van match g JB :) )

Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 71; dbt: 0.0592s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb