Learning curve....


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Ayutthaya
April 1st 2006
Published: April 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hello
How is life.

Well, i have acclimated nicely to the third world. The first few days were a learning experience i guess. I had the misfortune of catching the disease Dysentary. A nice, warm bacterial disease from eating contaminated food. It looked ok!
After things got real bad i went to the hospital but they didn't seem to be in the business of helping people. So, i diagnosed the problem myself using whatever i had and could think of, found the medication i needed and found a pharmacy.
Now, i am great and am out of that city.
Whoever says they "love" bangkok is lying. Or full of it. It's a city of millions (nearly 10) with half of em on the roads and streets all day. No pollution laws with regards to engines and traffic. Its 95 degrees and the same number in percent humidity. You battle for room on sidewalks with the masses, plus rats, roaches, strays and etc. Not to mention the girls who are forced to sell their bodies for $$. Very sad.

There is new public transportation, so that helps getting to some things. The shanty towns that seem to be everywhere are an amazing sight.

One of my days a local guy and i headed over to west Bangkok. That is the old city and the way of life hasn't changed much in 200 years. You travel by a covered canoe type boat. It's long and powered by a motor in the back. The maze of canals that somehow connect this section of city are amazing. People just exist along the waterways. They dwell in shelters and makeshift homes that look like they could fall into the river at any moment. I will have to post some pictures soon to give you a real look. We had lunch way back in somewhere. A group of little middle school age girls were all sharing 2 Coke bottles. We all sat in the shade on a covered dock of sort. They were cute. Reminded me of my students from last year.
Life is what is there. They do what they can and exist. Not too many smiles. Except on children.
Protests, riots and demonstrations shut down part of the city as i took the train out. The urban folk don't like the decisions the prime minister is making and the rural peoples are behind him. Good clash.

Yeah... after a few painful days i was able to get some things done. I took care of the Russian Visa. That was an experience. But. I will have it in hand by this friday. Good. Siberia and the west are mine!!
I got here into Ayutthaya and immediately felt better ( 2 hours by train - 30 cents). Stepping into a time warp, this town is filled with ruins from the 13th and 14th centuries. A nice, quiet place to stay and solid food choices. Things are good.
I might head over to the river Kwai after this weekend. I'll let you know. Catch up on your WWII history so you have a clue what thats about.

I can't wait for the upcoming Thai New Year. Biggest water fight on the planet.

Well. I will eat another 75 cent plate of Thai curry and rice. Things here are better.
Hating cities takes on a new definition brother after being in Asia.

As for Jillyan. She was unable to make it in. Flights were full. Standby has its limits. Too bad for the both of us. It's the start of April. Would of been real nice to see a friendly face last week. But. Sometime.

Yes, all my descriptions and opinions are from a western, first world perspective of course. Things are how they are. Labeling them bad or good or otherwise is a fine line.
They are what they are. But, with what i am used to and can choose to deal with. Living with a nasty illness or whatever isn't ideal. I can adapt to anything this world can throw at me. That's why you travel. That is why i will be safe.
There are some amazing sights and sounds and ideas here. I am grateful to have them...

I roll on
Sweet as

love
Jonathan

Advertisement



Tot: 0.524s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.2101s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb