Ruining Thailand


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Ayutthaya
March 4th 2008
Published: March 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Thailand has offically ruined us. We've been here at Thailand's best tourist attraction for 2 days and we have seen it all, well most, after awhile they seem to look the same so we skipped a couple.

As you can see by the pictures the ruins are very old and pretty cool. Ayutthaya the site of all the ruins was the capital of Thailand back in the 17th centry for over 400 years, until dun.. dun.. the burmese sacked the kingdom after 2 years of presistent attacks. This feat was not an easy one, as the Kingdom had over a million people so the temples are miles apart, which made biking to them an all day affair. Yes i said biking to them on a single speed bike as old as the ruins thenselves, no easy feat i might add since it was 95 degrees. Luckily they had many ice cream stands in between the ruins to energize, reviatlize and coolize us. The big pointy things are prang, stupa or cheti and they represent the things that make up life earth, wind, water and fire, i think, and they usually serve as tombs which the Burmese didn't think of. Actually, at least on one of the tombs, it wasn't even robbed until 1957. Mostly the burmese focused on chopping on the heads and hands of all the Buddha statues.

The town it self is a fairly quiet little town less than a 100 k I would say but with a really healthy street dog population as you'll see in the pictures. The first night we stayed at Tony's place recomended by Lonely Planet not bad we thought, until what seemed like bad karaoke started up around 10pm and didn't seem to stop for a long time. Then at 5 am the neighbors 3 little energetic pups started going at it yipping ang yapping like .... you get the picture. So that morning i went in search of a place to stay just down the road in a quite part of town we found PU Inn. Yeah the name is scary but the place is really nice and quiet. Today while lounging in the common area we notice many different smells many not good so we're kinda thinking that is where the name came from, i don't know, luckily we are use to the strange smell of this part of the world so we never though twice about it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Loaded pictureLoaded picture
Loaded picture

Street dogs in the heat of the day, tourists on bikes and elephants and wats all over.
Best ruin so far.Best ruin so far.
Best ruin so far.

The wasn't on the island with all the other ruins, can't remember the name.


Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0569s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb