Day 8 Pamir Highway - Murghab to Karakul Lake


Advertisement
Published: April 26th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday we travelled 160km from Murghab to Karakul Lake, driving time without stops was probably around 2.5hrs. As we left Murghab we picked up 4 Russian hitchhikers. We thought we could only pick up 2 so they did rock, paper, scissors to determine which of them would take the ride, but then Abdesh said that someone could go in the boot, so we made a human sized space amongst all the rucksacks,... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 49, Displayed: 21


Advertisement




26th April 2018
IMG_5067

Karakul Lake
Definitely one of my favourite places in Tajikistan...breathtaking beauty during the day and the Milky Way throbbing at night. The place where the complainers in our group left and the joy of you Marie and Emma entering. Happy happy memories.
26th April 2018
IMG_5122

OMG
Strange to see this room empty at Lake Karakul homestay as it was usually filled with our chatter, eating, drinking tea and amazing tales of the road flying around.
27th April 2018
IMG_5122

I know!
We snuck in a quick snap after y'all headed off exploring! Great memories for sure
3rd May 2018

The Russians were bonkers
You made us laugh! We still hope you will come to the U.S. to visit. Love to assist in developing your agenda.
4th May 2018

They were crazy!
But they inspired us to hitchhike from Auckland home to Wellington a few months after we got home! We'd often toyed with the idea but after meeting them we bit the bullet and did it! We were so close to coming to the US this month but hit a slight stumbling block because we can't get the ESTA due to having been to Iran, given we have 2 passports we thought we'd just be able to use the one without the visa but alas when you go to complete the form in the declaration it asks if you've been to Iran (it also asks if you hold any other passports). So now to enter the US (even to transit) we have to get a visa and in NZ it's currently a 160 day processing time and we have to go up to Auckland to be interviewed as part of the process. So it won't be this year, but after we get back our next holiday (which we had an idea for last week but much research yet to work out if it could be possible) we are thinking we'll get our applications in for a US visa, so watch this space!
4th May 2018
IMG_4954

Tajikistan
Loved those lonely roads.

Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0221s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb