A Border crossing and Tunneling to Dushanbe


Advertisement
Asia » Tajikistan » Dushanbe
April 9th 2016
Published: April 9th 2016
Edit Blog Post

<em style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal;">Day 76 Sunday 3rd April 2016 – Osh to Khujand (Tajikistan) Both excited and anxious about moving to another country today, the transferring should be easy it is what lies ahead that has us slightly worried. Tajikistan wasn’t initially on our plan but when we discovered it was safe and easy to do we slotted it in. Our plan had us travelling do... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

DushanbeDushanbe
Dushanbe

Odd twin towers near our hotel
DushanbeDushanbe
Dushanbe

Deserted old department store
DushanbeDushanbe
Dushanbe

Raising the flag on the Presidential Palace
DushanbeDushanbe
Dushanbe

Old Soviet and new apartment blocks
DushanbeDushanbe
Dushanbe

Statue of Ismoil Somoni
DushanbeDushanbe
Dushanbe

Statue Guardian hassling another tourist
DushanbeDushanbe
Dushanbe

Long view to the Parchan
DushanbeDushanbe
Dushanbe

The World's second highest flag pole
DushanbeDushanbe
Dushanbe

Rudaki Statue
KhujandKhujand
Khujand

Remains of the old town castle
KhujandKhujand
Khujand

Grand old home near our hotel
KhujandKhujand
Khujand

Mosques next to the Bazaar
KhujandKhujand
Khujand

Parkland
Khujand to DushanbeKhujand to Dushanbe
Khujand to Dushanbe

Broken down truck
Khujand to DushanbeKhujand to Dushanbe
Khujand to Dushanbe

Snowed in road with tunnels
Khujand to DushanbeKhujand to Dushanbe
Khujand to Dushanbe

Snow and Road



9th April 2016

Great blog and photos
Sounds like a great trip you're on. I envy the way you get to do it. When I visited Dushanbe, it was a quick flight in and a quick flight out. Enjoy the rest of your journey.
10th April 2016

An excuse for a return?
I hope you flew during the day as the scenery coming in would have been great. Traveling is a like that, you sometimes have regrets on the places you didn't spend enough time in and other places too long, but I reckon it all works out to be the right amount of time for a reason.
9th April 2016
Khujand to Dushanbe

Finally, a fab city!
An Irish pub? I guess they're everywhere, and you two have an excellent way of ferreting them out--bravo! Love the parks and tulips, but I'm pretty aghast at the $20 museum for pottery shards. And yes, that mountain scenery is incredible! I'd never even known of these safety tunnels until I crossed the Andes between Santiago and Mendoza, which I imagine you did, too, when down here, though the SA ones have windows, so there's more ventilation and light, so no claustrophobia. Pretty trippy to be able to whip through these little countries so fast.
10th April 2016
Khujand to Dushanbe

No not more broken pottery!!
Broken pottery isn't my favourite thing to stare at, can fully appreciate the significance but after all our travels I think we have seen enough. If I had planned this trip better and came in summer we would probably have spent a bit longer, but alas. Yes that trip between Santiago and Mendoza is still one of our favourites and one day hopefully to do again.
10th April 2016

from the back seat
So glad I happened upon your writings. I really look forward to your regular updates which I have been following for a relatively shortish time (a couple of months I guess). Admiration to you both for travelling in a part of the world I haven't seen. Love your presentation, a big thank you and cheers, John
10th April 2016

Are we there yet?
Thanks heaps John, glad you are enjoying the trip. Like a lot of other bloggers we started this for family and friends but we always get a kick out of others enjoying the journey. Hope it doesn't get too boring.
10th April 2016

Working your way through the Stans
Now I'm curious about what Tajikistani hip hop/techno sounds like :) I love a country that claims to have the tallest and biggest stuff! We were told that a flagpole in KL was one of the tallest in the world, and I'm guessing we made the same jokes you did. I just did a quick google search and looks like there are a few claims to fame about the tallest flagpoles, and did you know that there's a difference between supported and un-supported tallest flagpoles? Also apparently, it's not just the height of your flagpole but the size of the flag you fly too. Hehe. Seriously ;)
10th April 2016

Flagpoles and tunnels
Who knew that there was so many categories when it comes to the tallest flagpole? I had contemplating writing the whole blog like a bad Benny Hill show as it was filled with tunnels and flagpoles, but it would have quickly slipped from being silly and straight into the gutter. As for Tajikistani hip hop/techno it sounded sort of Indian with a twist of Middle East and the occasional English swear words to give it street cred. Some of it was pretty good but a lot of it was less memorable.
12th April 2016

Making the world smaller
We find that every time we go to a new country the world seems smaller. Once you've navigated the money conversion, public transportation, ordering food and finding housing you can enjoy the beauty surrounding you. Now that you've stepped up to a Lexus you may find it difficult to go back to those rattle trap vehicles you are used to. Ha! And...wow....free laundry..the two of you generally have good luck with things. Must be good karma. $7 to feast on Kebobs...excellent deal. Enjoy every moment of the scenery.
12th April 2016

Running out of luck
We are in Uzbekistan now and feel like our good luck has run out. Our $8 meals are now costing $40- no more Lexus journeys for us.
19th April 2016

And who would have thought!
ahhhhh......finally, somewhere that feels a little like Newtown! Really? Love it. And an Irish pub also, how Newtown. Perfect combo in what sounds like a quaint city. so glad you got a chance to chill out hey. Those tunnels are scary...tulips gorgeous...scenery, well again amazing....enjoy!
19th April 2016

Dushanbe is the new newtown
Thanks Traudy It wasn't what we had expected and the place even had a bit of a GLBT scene happening. We had read some scary stuff about there being a tense under current running through the town regarding the different ethnic groups that live there but we didn't see, hear or feel anything like that. Could have stayed in Dushanbe for a few more weeks except there was nothing to do other than eat and drink- maybe we might go back.

Tot: 0.391s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 17; qc: 27; dbt: 0.325s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb