Meandering


Advertisement
Taiwan's flag
Asia » Taiwan » Taipei
March 21st 2011
Published: October 16th 2011
Edit Blog Post

long-necked turtleslong-necked turtleslong-necked turtles

in a "Believe it or not" museum along the crowded street -- 69 NT to get in and totally not worth it
Yesterday we didn't do much besides walk around the nearby Yong Khang street. There's a famous restaurant there, but Holly's housemate says she's not sure why...basically it was sort of a fancy street and not really our style.

Today we went to Danshui (pronounced "dan shwey"). It's about a 40-minute metro ride from where we're staying and the station is right next to all the action. There's a long cycling trail along the coast and tons of little shops and food stands that get going towards the evening. We also saw some couples taking wedding photos on a small wooden dock...there were at least six couples with their photographers there, so it must be somewhat famous!

Next to the photoshoot was a restaurant that had the table grills and a great style. I can't really explain it, so check out the picture, but it was something like as if you were sitting on the floor, but there was a hole under the table for your legs. We were going to eat there and tried to go in at 16:30, but the woman said they opened at 17:00, so we waited around (aka watched the brides and grooms) and then
cool wallcool wallcool wall

painted squares
reentered. We wanted to sit at one of the window seats, but couldn't -- they were reserved. We found out they were reserved via cell phone -- they couldn't speak English, and we can't speak Chinese, so they called a friend, co-worker maybe, and she translated. They had to call her again later because we sat down and they brought a large stew and a plate of raw meat. When she told us the price was $878, we were shocked and they had to call their friend again. I didn't really understand completely because there was also a small menu that we could choose from, but the telephone girl said it was a set including drinks and it was $878 per person!

So we high-tailed it out of there and bought some delicious and cheap street food. We got a nice pancake thingy and breaded chicken and a sausage on a stick. Tomorrow we're going to Keelung, so I hope the weather is nice!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

sausagessausages
sausages

we just got one on a stick, but she also had sausages in sausages....


Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0469s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb