Mondays Through Fridays


Advertisement
Taiwan's flag
Asia » Taiwan » Taichung
July 6th 2007
Published: August 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Most of you know that I'm in Taiwan for two months, but noteveryone knows that I'm here essentially to go to summer school. I'm going to summer school, in Taiwan. Every weekday I have classes from 8 am-12 noon. Four hours sounds intense, but it's not 4 solid hours of classes. The first class of the day is usually an hour long. Then we take a break between each class, which, as the breaks start growing longer throughout the morning, classes shorten a little. So we go to class but then get to chat or check email inbetween classes. They have a really nice little computer room here, which I take advantage of often.

The teachers are all pretty cool. Three of them are sisters and share the last name, so we call them the equivelent of Teacher Big, Middle, or Small Zhang. Big Zhang is by far my favorite. She's the trouble maker of all the teachers. For example, she likes to hide peoples' shoes when they leave them on the floor outside the computer room(no shoes allowed inside) instead of in the cabnit. She did this to me and a friend yesterday between classes. We went on a scavenger hunt for our shoes. She also for some reason has decided that my class (4 people) will learn to sing chinese songs. Just our class. So every week we will learn a new song and go into random classrooms and sing. It's defintely different than any other class I've had!

So there's been workers jackhammering concrete outside our building all week. It's very loud and annoying. My classmate Liz and I asked Teacher Middle Zhang how long they would be out there. She dared us to go out and ask-and so, we did! They only told us everyday until 5pm, not how many weeks. Middle Zhang already knew apparently and told us after we got back they'd be there for 1/2 of a month.

After class ends at noon, students break into groups and go in search of food. We can either go to the cafeteria 5 minutes away for soso food or walk 15-20 minutes in the heat for better food in Dongbei. Dongbei is a mini city that exists at the edge of campus for college students. It spans only a few streets wide, but theres so much there! After lunch, we sometimes come back to the Chinese center to talk or use computers, or go back to our dorms. Then we go and eat dinner anytime from 5-10 pm. Then we get down to studying if we haven't already started. Then we do it all over.

On the weekends, we do lots of things. Tomorrow I'm going to the countryside where there are much prettier views. I'll write about that when I get back!

Advertisement



7th July 2007

singing
Meg: What a great adventure! Fully expecting a recital of Chinese songs when you return (if you ever find your shoes) :)
11th July 2007

Awesome. Summer school. =P What are kind of classes are these? Language class?
11th July 2007

They're all chinese courses.

Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0882s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb