Kenting, Southern tip of Taiwan


Advertisement
Taiwan's flag
Asia » Taiwan » Kenting
October 10th 2008
Published: December 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

For more of my photos, or to buy my book, please visit www.nickkembel.com

Taiwan's Beach Playground



If you ask any Taiwanese person where to go for a holiday in Taiwan, it is very likely that they will recommend Kenting, the National Park that occupies the absolute southern tip of the island. Never mind that most of them are obsessed with it thanks to the Taiwanese Romantic Comedy 'Cape No. 7' being filmed there. But I decided to check it out for myself, and see what the hype is all about.

Do not come to Kenting if you can't handle crowds. Especially on a long weekend. I have never in my life seen so many people crammed onto one street as in Kenting Town at night. Take any elbow to elbow congested night market in Taipei, and multiply it by ten. Eventually the crowds on either side of the street swelled to the point that there was no longer room for traffic to pass, and police cars had to direct vehicles through one at a time, causing traffic on all of the roads leading into Kenting National Park to come to a standstill.

Kenting town has everything
Kenting Town at NightKenting Town at NightKenting Town at Night

I have never seen so many people on one street in my life!
that a Taiwanese person loves in a night out. Overbearing crowds, strong smells, loud noises, bad KTV (Karaoke), and more food stalls then you could ever possibly conquer. But if that is not your cup of tea, then the beauty of Kenting lies in the surrounding region.

We made our way to the lighthouse occupying the most southern point of Taiwan, and enjoyed a semi-mystical experience as the sun set over the breathing ocean and the pink sun rays lit up the rugged coastline as far as the eye could see.

On our last day we braved the intense wind and bouts of rain on rental scooters, looping around the southern tip of the island along clifftop highways, passing sand dunes and incredible views up and down the coast.

Finally, before getting on the High Speed Rail back to Taipei, we spent a few hours in Kaosiung, Taiwan's second largest metropolis, and took a look at the Lotus Pond, a man made lake surrounded by enormous Buddhist sculptures, monuments, and temples.



For more of my photos, or to buy my book, please visit www.nickkembel.com








Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Puppy Sleeping in a 7-11Puppy Sleeping in a 7-11
Puppy Sleeping in a 7-11

Guarding the Slurpee machine
Southern tip of TaiwanSouthern tip of Taiwan
Southern tip of Taiwan

Viewed from the Kenting Lighthouse
Taiwanese Scooter GangTaiwanese Scooter Gang
Taiwanese Scooter Gang

Beware, these men have no driver's licenses...
South Coast of TaiwanSouth Coast of Taiwan
South Coast of Taiwan

Nick, Marc, Kaylin, Dave


Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0304s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb