Taiwan Home Cooking


Advertisement
Taiwan's flag
Asia » Taiwan » Chiayi
January 23rd 2008
Published: January 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Additional maps: Untitled

SleepinSleepinSleepin

This fruit seller sleeps the afternoon away on busy Wenhua (Culture) Rd.
It's good to head home before any long journey, so we scheduled a trip to good ol' Chiayi, Taiwan. We were greeted by old friends both Chinese and expat. Needless to say, as soon as we hit the ground, we started eating. And eating. Nick and XieYun had opened their breakfast shop in March and Chinese hospitality demands that guests be stuffed, and stuffed we are. We have been enjoying an unending stream of old favorites. Fried chicken and egg breakfast sandwiches, danbings (take that Wynne), chicken rice, beef noodles, intestine hot pot soup, dragon fruit, tangerines, salty dried plums, squid on a stick, the best food in the world--so far.

Let us not forget the tea. Tea shops are everywhere and not one is in danger of going out of business. I had forgotten how refreshing 700cc of pure Taiwan tea can be. I had also forgotten how much caffeine is hiding in one of those cups. It seems I can't drink 3 cups a day anymore.

Nick and XieYun, the proud owners of the BeFeMin breakfast shop are tea experts. As soon as we finished our fried chicken sandwiches, out came the tiny terracotta teapot and the
XieYun at the BeFeMin Breakfast ShopXieYun at the BeFeMin Breakfast ShopXieYun at the BeFeMin Breakfast Shop

After years of saving XieYun, once the secretary at my school in the country, opened a breakfast shop downtown. She actually giggled when she placed a chicken sandwich in front of me. "I made this," she said.
loose leaf oolong tea--tea from the spot where Chris and I were married, served in cups from our wedding reception. Needless to say, we'll be picking up a couple of packets before we leave. There's nothing in the world like it.

And then there's the night market. The Taiwanese take meat on a stick to great heights. We enjoyed our fair share while trying, without success, to grab some awesome toys from one of the multitude of claw machines.

Oh Taiwanese food, how we have missed you.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

The Mighty JibaoThe Mighty Jibao
The Mighty Jibao

BeFeMin's star attraction. The fried chicken fried egg sandwich. **drool**
A Light LunchA Light Lunch
A Light Lunch

Minutes after eating our awesome Taiwanese breakfast, XieYun runs out to buy us a light lunch.
Oolong TeaOolong Tea
Oolong Tea

Tiny teapot, tiny cups and the best tea in the world.
Meat on a StickMeat on a Stick
Meat on a Stick

One of the Chiayi night markets many meat on a stick stands. Mmm...meat on a stick.
Squid on a StickSquid on a Stick
Squid on a Stick

They're like the corn dogs of the sea.


Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0283s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb