Sinharaja


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka
January 19th 2006
Published: February 8th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Sinharaja National Park
A field research station off the beaten trail. The area was partially logged. Logging stopped and a buffer zone of farming, rubber trees and tea mostly has been established. Our lodging is in this buffer zone and we will hike or take jeeps into the research station. The evening sunset is in a light rain or maybe just a heavy mist. Our host, Professor Gunatilleke took us for a short walk up the highway pointing out the different ecosystems and giving us a history of the area. We got to see carnivorous pitcher plants growing on the hill side and edge of the road.

After dinner we sat on the deck in front of our rooms, overlooking the river and mountains, fire-flies in the trees. With six college instructors from four universities present, we talked about the similarities and differences in the educational systems in the US and Sri Lanka. They compared notes on how students around the world are in many ways the same. And how instructors are facing the same problems.

The next morning we hiked up the hill to the research station. Many in our group dreading an attach by leeches. These are small creatures containing absolutely no medical problems. A small bite and the loss of less than a teaspoon of blood. I actually did get leeched. I didn't feel a thing, it was only when some told me that I became aware of a trickle of blood just above my sock. I washed it off with a little water and put a band-aid over it. Taking the bandage off will be the most painful part of this tale.

We spend a second night at Sinaraja. Tonight it is early to bed. In the morning we will be on our way to Colombo.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0402s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb