Sigiriya


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka
January 16th 2006
Published: February 8th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Climbing Sigiriya
Sigiriya, built in the fifth century, is a wonderful set of ancient royal gardens complete with a complex system of man-made pools and water courses. Many of the fountains still working - water flowing underground suddenly to bubble forth.

Several people approach us wanting to be our guide. They keep insisting and telling us details about the gardens. Finally Dr. Pearce negotiates a price, nominal really, with one of the guides. It seems we must have a guided tour. At times it would be nice to skip the facts and enjoy the space, to take in the sights, sounds, and feel of the breeze. Details, details, details, the devil they say is in the details.

At the base of the cliff a city supplied the people to build and maintain the gardens and palace. On the cliff behind the gardens is the ruins of the palace. A 200 meter climb is required to get from the garden to the palace. Along the trail to the palace, a guard checks your permit. Visitors to Sri Lanka's cultural triangle need to purchase a single permit which has coupons for all the different sites.

Half way up the rock wall, at about 100 meters above the ground level are the Apsara paintings. Most of the paintings have been destroyed and the remaining images are open to several differing interpretations.

Continuing past the painting brings us to the lion paws stairway leading to the top of the rock. As we start up the stairs, I fall behind our leader and guide. I am immediately approached by a new person offering guide service. More details about Sigiriya and an offer to guide me, I quicken my pace a rejoin our guide.

At the top of the rock I get some small idea what it must be like to be a king. Wonderful 360-degree views, cool breeze, a large private swimming pool, and throne overlooking where the dancing girls perform.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.154s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0518s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb