Hello Unawatuna


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka
January 9th 2006
Published: January 9th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We have now moved sight to Unawatuna in preperation for the playback theatre project. we met the other guys we're working with a couple of days ago and will meet the group tomorrow.

But back to that later - we will start where we left off last time!

we went back to the womens project ayu bowan to meet the co-ordinator - a french lady called solene. she give us much tea and biscuits and explained the workings of the project.hopefully soon it will be a long-term sustainable business. at the moment the women mak bags and get paid for doing so and extra profits go into the community to create more jobs - this way the community will come to rely less on donations.

there was a big DJparty on our last night in Mirissa - these really are the height of the social sene there. a 'big dj' from colombo came to do the honours to play a set the was pumping in pure school disco stylee! there was much dancing and drinking of arrack going on. Bimali- the tsunami mother was in town for the event alomg with her family, the younger children drew picture for us and the older daughter of 17 made us dance for hours!

the next day saw us on a bus ride to Unawatuna - very amusing for the locals - two white girls with HUGE bags strapped to them, trying to walk up the bus whilst is was blasting down the pothole ridden roads, bouncing and wobbling all the way! and the same scenario get off the bus but this time also having to stand and wait for the bus to stop, a falling over in aisle catastrophe a very near miss.

We arrived finally at our guesthouse wher we have cute little cabana on stilts.
Must dash now - will fill you in the rest later.


Advertisement



9th January 2006

thanks 4 the update.
all is well here glad u r having such a good time,sophia`s mum and i had a long chat which was nice. looking forward to seeing some pictures. love mum trivs
9th January 2006

on the move!
Hi girls! A good piece of descriptive writing there to conjure up a wonderful picture of you both buckling under the weight of those very big bags. Good luck with the project. Keep safe. Mum I
19th January 2006

wow....
Sounds amazing you both sound like your really enjoying yourselves. Liverpool is still the same, the weather is terrible and we're all hoping for a good summer.Still job hunting and i am very jealous of you both. I will try and keep in regular contact. Take care both of you lots of love Lindsey +

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0438s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb