Greetings from Mirissa


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka
January 4th 2006
Published: January 4th 2006
Edit Blog Post

SHORT PARAGRAPHS!!

We are here relaxing in MIrissa before the project starts on 6th Jan.

Journey started at Heathrow Terminal 4, where we had a celebrity sighting- Trinny of 'Trinny and Suzanna' fame was on our flight, typical when you're all in your travel gear and looking like shit!

Very luxurious flight, managed to get 2 seats each, very little sleep even after 2 shots of Valerian and 1 shot of Arrack (local liquor). Finally arrived right in the heart of Colombo- very hectic, cars, lorries and tuk tuks EVERYWHERE and made our way to the Tropic Inn Mt. Lavinia, 30km south of the airport. Only to discover- rooms had been overbooked- no room at the inn- so we were transferred up the road to what appeared to be an extension of their family home.

Next day we made our way to Moratuwa station where we would take the train to Weligama. With a couple of hours to spare, we went in search of food. Backpacks loaded we trudged through the midday sun to find a small 'short eats' cafe where we discovered we were not only the only white people but the only women in the place- a crowd soon gathered by the door to watch the spectacle! We got stuck in with our fingers trying to remember the 'right hand rule'!

The spectacle continued on the station platform, where 100ish faces stared down the tracks at us. After a bit of pushing and shoving everyone climbed aboard, some hanging out of doors, and despite buying a 2nd class ticket, we ended up in the luggage compartment!! The journey was long but watching the scenery amble past the window gave us a real feel for the place. We got off the train at Galle and reboarded again (after much confusion) in the 2nd class carriage. EJ sat in the clergy seat and was promptly turfed out by a Buddhist monk- oops!

Took a tuk tuk (try saying that after a few arracks!) to our bed for the night at Lagoon Rest. We dumped out things and headed to the beach for New Year celebrations. We saw in 2006 with bonfires on the sand and fireworks over the sea. Beautiful.

Moved to Sea Side Inn the next day to be closer to the 'Mirissa Strip', the row of guesthouses and bars where everyone hangs out. We soon learnt that arrack was a recurring theme, and spent the next evening on the beach with some locals and some 'local' tourist old timers- some of which were here as the tsunami hit.

January 2nd came as a harsh reminder as to the reasons for our being here. An earthquake hit Sumatra early in the evening on the 1st and we experienced the sheer terror of a tsunami warning. The look on the faces of the local people was haunting. We dashed to the room and packed up some emergency kit and headed for the internet, to discover that the quake had only been small 5.6 and there was no threat to us. False Alarm- phew!

To those of your familiar with the concept of a PIG OFF you'll be pleased to hear that the Pass the Pigs Guild has now gone International and we opened the Sri Lanka branch 2 days ago!! The local guys get stuck in- especially when a paper streamer or candle holder crown is at satke for the champion. Amazing how the language of fun and games is so neutral.

Today we visited a local post-tsunami project called Ayubowan (Welcome) Women's Project, where jobs are being created for local women through the manufacture and sale of gorgeous cloth bags. They have a website: www.ayubowanwp.org.

We made our way to our first temple of the journey, amazing view of the bay and giant Salamanders on the hilltop along with butterflies of many colours. The temple itself a little disappointing after climbing THOUSANDS of steps in the midday sun to get to it! This was the refuge point for Mirissa when the wave hit.

Lovely food- coconut sambol and rice and the freshest, juiciest fruits mmmm! Curries coming out of every pore- not so mmmmm!

Jealous?..... you should be!!!

BIG Love

EJ x


and kisses

Sophia xx

Advertisement



4th January 2006

Paradise
Hi Girls Glad to hear that you have settled, although the next move is only a couple of days away. Sounds a fantastic locations to get into the swing of Sri Lanka before the work starts. Lovely to hear from you on the phone EJ and looking forward to the next instalment. Love Dad
4th January 2006

thanks 4 update
lovely to speak the other day. sounds exciting so far. dad got book on sri lanka so to follow the tour. you know him ej! we are back at work! the shelter has finished so the house has enjoyed a clean today. bein touch love mum.
5th January 2006

oink!
Sounds like you're having an amazing time and I'm glad to hear pigs is going down so well... i tried to buy some house pigs today so we can continue the tornament here but, alas, they'd sold out... looks like the rest of liverpool has caught onto the wonderful game!! Enjoy the arracks, fruity fruit and sunshine, love claire xxx
5th January 2006

Happy New Year whameds!
Sounds fantastic! glad to hear you saw in the new year in style. All fine and dandy in the Brompton household, moved my stuff yesterday, settling in fine. Email on it's way to you EJ. Many joys, Beccy xx
5th January 2006

Hello
First hurdle overcome at this end. Keep them coming E.J.
7th January 2006

Sounds great!
Happy New Year! Good to hear from you, the guy have been asking. I'll print this for Monday. Things as mad as ever here...! But everyone's still here, after more Got to keep up with the insanity trend though (it's good for your hair ;-) Big hugs!!

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0459s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb