Day 11 - Driving through Sri Lanka


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » Western Province
July 18th 2015
Published: July 19th 2015
Edit Blog Post

We had quite the relaxing morning. We did not have to meet our guide, Vijitha until 10:30. Lynn was up first and got ready and walked down to the beach. Chester and Kirsten got ready soon after and went straight to breakfast. We were all ready for the visit to the Elephant Orphanage. Well, the 90 minute drive took 2.5 hours. Yikes. We are in a nice van, however the roads are brutal once you drive into the interior of the country. We took side, dirt roads that were all under construction because of drainage issues.

The Elephant Orphanage was pretty cool. They have over 80 rescued elephants of all ages. We saw the older ones walking around eating, saw the ones that have behavior and aggression issues chained up to trees, and then we got to see the babies gets milk fed with a bottle. This is a very popular attraction so lots of visitors were all watching the elephants. Their intentions are good but we did question a few of their ways.

We left the park and made our way down to a restaurant for lunch. The restaurant is located on the water where the handlers bring down the elephants to play and cool down. We had lunch on a balcony overlooking all the elephants. It was pretty cool. Our lunch consisted of a ham and cheese sandwich and we tried the traditional Sri Lankan chicken curry and rice dish. He warned us it was spicy/hot. We tried it and we did well. It was really spicy but we cooled off the entire meal with a cup of cinnamon and pineapple ice cream. We learned we have to say goodbye to the amazing cinnamon ice cream of Vietnam and move on. The ice cream was just the start of a few disappointment in Sri Lanka so far. None are deal breakers, just first world, white girl problems. Little did we realize that after the few hours we spent with the elephants, we would spent three times that much in the car today. We left a little after 3 from the orphanage and did not reach out hotel until after 7. The drive was brutal, tons of construction on the roads and just cars, tuk tuks, and bikes driving on both sides of the road to get to where they need to go. We bounced around in the back quite a bit, it was uncomfortable enough that Kirsten could barely sleep. And she can sleep anywhere. Lynn sat in the front seat and smiled and waved to every Sri Lankan on the way home. Little did we know the drive would take about 4 hours to get to our hotel- four very bouncy, swaying, bumpy hours. Our guide was even pulled over by the cops. The cops don’t actually pull you over from their car, they just stand on the side of the road and then point at your car and then point to the shoulder of the road. You do as you are told here. Vijitha said he talked himself out of it, or maybe, paid his way out of the ticket. He did come back to the van to get his wallet.

We finally get to our hotel and there are only two things we want: massages and beer. We were denied both! BALLS!!! That’s such a downer. We get to the spa and they were closing in 30 minutes, so no go there. Then we head down to the resort bar and today, of all days is a government holiday and no alcohol can be served. DOUBLE BALLS! We actually became short of breath at learning this. The only calming factor was the waiter telling us to bring what is in our mini bar! Who knew the mini bar could actually save a life. AGAIN THESE ARE ALL FIRST WORLD, WHITE GIRLS PROBLEMS. So we check out the pool and it is beautiful. Hopefully tomorrow we will get some pool relaxing time. Speaking of the pool, as we were sitting in lounge chairs chillaxing with a nice, cool breeze and a cold one in our hands, oh wait, no there were no cold drinks in our hands. BALLS! Then the last thing happened that gave Chester the thumbs down for day one in Sri Lanka. While lounging on the lovely wicker chairs by the pool at moonlight, Chester got pooped on by something . . . a bird, gecko, a bat. We don’t know, but we do not what it means to get pooped on. Good thing we are at this hotel for 2 nights and I can get my pooped on shorts cleaned.

The landscape of Sri Lanka is beautiful. Coconut trees, rubber trees Mahagony, all kinds of fruit trees, rice fields and open spaces of just trees and foliage everywhere. Every person that Lynn smiles at while she rides shot-gun in the van smile and wave back. She is making a ton of new friends here. Kirsten and Chester are just trying to stay on the seats in the back. Hopefully tomorrow will bring more adventure, less driving, relaxing massages and cool beers! We have the appointment for a massage and we have confirmed that you can drink tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.041s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb