Mt. Lavinia


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » Western Province » Colombo
September 4th 2006
Published: September 18th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We've been in Colombo for a week now and yesterday was the first time we went to see the ocean. While Colombo runs along the coast for about 15Km, it isn't really a "beach" town. Imagine all of Daytona Beach, right on the water, but not being able to go in the water. I was suprised at the turbulence of the water. The waves were enormous and breaking far from the shore. The sand is orange colored and grainy. At sunset, the colors reminded me of sepia photographs.

We wandered around the grounds of the Mt. Lavina Hotel. They have a pool area set high above the water with a sweeping view of the coastline of Colombo up to the north where you can see the twin towers of Colombos own World Trade Centre. Occasionally, a train would ramble by that looked like it was an antique toy with open windows and people hanging from some of the doorways.

A lot of the resturaunts we have gone to, including the ones at the hotel, do not start serving until 7 p.m. We arrived around 4:30 and had a lot of time to kill before we could eat. So we walked down the beach to a place that is hidden beneath mangrove trees that serves beers for "get four beers here for same price as two beers at hotel". So, we have a couple beers and waited for the sun to go down. Later we did eat dinner at the hotels beach bbq place where you chose your fish and they cut it and weight it for you. Then they grill it up how you like it. It was very reasonable priced and we were full with about 2-3kg of fish. I had a local fish that was similar to swordfish and Adam had a tuna steak.

It was a good night and we finally felt like we were doing something, so it was a boost for our morale.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



24th August 2009

Update!
Update your blog!!

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0384s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb