Full Moon


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » Southern Province » Weligama » Kapparathota
December 16th 2013
Published: December 16th 2013
Edit Blog Post

This morning we were woken by the beautiful sound of monks chanting. It is the day of the full moon and a Buddhist holiday here. We are lucky enough to be staying right next to a temple although guessing from the amount of temples we have seen, I don't think that is very unusual. The chanting has continued throughout the day and we've been told it will continue all night too.

Tomorrow we embark on our first railroad trip. It's an iconic image and one that we've witnessed a few times since we've been here - a train car rushing past with several people hanging out of the open doors. Our host's son assures us that it's loads of fun to ride that way but I think we'll be a little more circumspect.

We've planned a 2 leg 13 hour train trip from Weligama to Colombo (where we'll spend a night) and then on to Ella which is supposed to be the starting off point for some great hiking. The total cost for two first class tickets? 2080 Sri Lankan rupees (about C$16).


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



16th December 2013

Wow!
So glad to see you two beginning your adventure! Brian and I will be following your journey and having our turn to live vicariously through you-
16th December 2013

All Aboard!
THIS will be a wonderful adventure. Sounds like a scene out of a movie. We'll be anxious to read what you both experienced. Blessings. BTW, what a wonderful way to begin your day...the chants of the faithful. So lovely. Love you!

Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 18; qc: 85; dbt: 0.0935s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb