The Pink Elephant


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » Southern Province » Galle
September 29th 2013
Published: November 7th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Walking along the train tracks in Lovinia heading to the train station, dripping with sweat, we bypassed the beach with its crashing waves. Our group had expanded from 3 to 6, adding Pri Ya, Tim and Alan, all of us from different countries. Tickets bought for Galle, we had a long train journey. Local food and drink sellers waltzed through the carriages shouting words in Sri Lankan which I knew none of and locals with disabilities singing their hearts out to earn a few bob. We were all stood in the doorway of the carriage, some of us propped up against the wall next to the toilet and some sat on the floor almost legs hanging out of the doorway of the train. All good fun!

Arriving into Galle, we bartered for 2 tuk tuks to take us to the Pink Elephant Hostel, situated in the beach town of Unawatuna. It seemed an awesome place with no curfew, ran by a couple and their beautiful doggy Una, who I fell in love with from first encounter. We had a large dorm room with single beds and a big balcony. Once settled, we all ordered the backpackers special Sri Lankan curry and it was delicious. Nice and spicy to make us sweat a little more. Hayley and I both opted for the a yummy milkshake (the name escapes me).

Eager to check out the beach, Tim and I ran across the road to have a peak. It looked just what we needed. Firstly, Alan and I went and bartered with a lady for some new swim shorts. We literally chilled on the beach on some sun loungers, sipped on cocktails and some of us had a dip in the sea.

As a group, we all decided to buy some of the local alcohol, arak. It was cheap and we drank it back at the hostel on their blanketed seat platform, whilst inhaling some apple sheesha and eating delicious food. Coinciding with this, we played card games and generally got to know each other.



Splitting up slightly the next day, Pri Ya and Dani chilled out at the beach whilst myself, Hayley, Tim and Alan took a nice walk to jungle beach. It was good to burn a little energy. Of course at the beach, we chilled and had lunch.

We met the other guys later for dinner, Dani looking like a lobster herself! We ate on the beach, our waiter being a very comical young dude. I lay on a beach bed looking up at the stars, then went back to hostel to consume the remaining arak followed by an attempt to watch Jaws in bed with Hayley, but I fell asleep as usual.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0562s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb