Creatures and Things


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » Central Province » Kandy
October 1st 2013
Published: November 7th 2013
Edit Blog Post

This morning, we packed our things to move on to Kandy. Whilst Dani was packing she came across something she wasn't so happy about. A load of ants, underneath and surrounding her backpack. She went crazy. Hayley and I both tried helping. She had left something wet lingering, which of course they attract. Ok, so I laughed my ass off at her going spare. But then when picking up my small rucksack, I had exactly the same problem, however I had crushed biscuits in my side net pockets which they seemed to be enjoying. Hayley helped me brush them off and still there were more.

We made our way to the train station, where we bought our ticket and had some local food in a small café. A new cultural experience today, eating chicken rice and dal with my fingers. Slightly messy until I got the technique right.

Starting in the doorway of the train again, we started our journey. Whilst Alan found a bunch of seats a few corridors down I decide to sit next to the door as I had got hot and flustered. Big mistake that was. A lady who had given me a smile sat down next to me. An skinny oldish lady with a leather looking face. After a bit of normal conversation with her, she told me she was dying and how she needed treatment. I felt sorry for this lady, but I can't help everyone and what if it was just a scam for money? She shed a few tears and I consoled her, then luckily Alan comes and tells me there is a seat for me. I told her to be strong and left. God, I sound heartless, but I was glad to be out of the situation.

Alan and Pri Ya unfortunately left us at the next city, so we said our goodbyes and we were down to 3.

Next, came the cockroaches. Hayley told us how she saw some scuttling around on the floor beneath us, so as we are all picking our bags up, Dani flicks her towel in the air and a cockroach lands on my back! Eugh. I shout at her to get it off me and she flings it on the floor, making its way over to some locals who also lifted their feet up whilst laughing at us.

The train was getting more and more crowded. Tim and I were in the aisle seats, so now and again would have a crotch in our face or boobs on our head. Rather chaotic and claustrophobic, however a nice sea view out the window with a red sky made it all better.

Escorted by tuk tuk to a cheap but pleasant guesthouse, we had food and threw in the towel.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0391s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb