Sigiriya Rock Fortress


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » North Central Province
February 2nd 2011
Published: February 2nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Sigiriya is one of the most visited tourist destinations in Sri Lanka and one of the symbols of Sri Lanka. One of the reasons it is very popular among tourists is that it is a one day trip from Colombo where you can leave early in the morning and come back at night. If you have more time to spare then a typical weekend getaway could include a visit to Sigiriya and Dambulla Rock Temple ( two of the eight world heritages sites in Sri Lanka ), visiting the nearby Minneriya national park to see some wildlife in the evening and then spending a relaxing holiday in one of the luxurious hotels visiting a spa or enjoying a foot massage.
Sigiriya is a rock mountain in the middle of a valley making it the ideal location for a fortress. It was built by King Kashyapa to protect his kingdom from his brother. Although built as a fortress it has the oldest landscaped garden in Asia and the irrigation system used is considered one of the best in those times, some of the water sprays still works during rainy seasons.
Another reason it is famous is because of the fresco arts drawn in stone walls. You can found some remains of them on your way up to the top, they are comparable to arts found in Ajantha caves in India. At the very top you will find remains of a palace and some ponds used by the royalty. It also offers a magnificent view of the surrounding area, definitely a must visit place if you are traveling to Sri Lanka.

Advertisement



14th February 2011

Little more about your visit to Sigiriya?
Glad you got to visit Sigiriya and Dambulla. If you are looking to learn a little more about Sigiriya the UNESCO World Heritage site, please visit my blog. To learn more about the history of places and things to do, please visit my independent Sri Lanka travel blog: discovering-serendipity.com. I would also love for you to share a picture memory in my "Serendipity this week" section, if you're interested!

Tot: 0.142s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0933s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb