Travel time!


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » North Central Province » Anuradhapura
November 19th 2006
Published: November 19th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Marie and I are now half way through our travel time! We have been to Kandy, the Pinnawela elephant orphanage, Dambulla (rock temples), Sigiria, Polonnaruwa and now we are in Annuradhapura!
Yesterday we discovered that you could get female Buddhist nuns. Up until that point we thought that they were all male as the male and female monks all where a orange tunic and have a shaved head with no jewelry you can see that this was an easy mistake to make! We then went to a female only temple and got blessed by one of the nuns who then asked us in her pigeon English whether we were married, had kids, etc the usual questions and we obviously passed the test as then she said "you now become monk?!" and we had to try and explain that we weren't even Buddhist. She did bless us though and gave us this bracelet thing, which looks a little like someone has wrapped dental floss around our wrists several times! It is meant to bring us luck (I think I have been blessed 3½ months too late!)
I have really enjoyed the last couple of days as I feel like I am getting to know Sri Lanka a lot better even though I have been here for what seems like forever!
Marie has started taking Malaria pills for our travel time and keeps on having the funniest hallucinations. She though a massive spider was crawling over here when she was in bed and that maggots were in her roti (bread you get for breakfast) luckily I never had that with the pills im on!
I now have 2 more culteral days then the beach!
xxxxx

Advertisement



19th November 2006

I'm glad to see you're doing lots of the cultural stuff before you head off for the beach! We're all getting very excited at the thought of having you home - we've made lots of plans. Much love Mum xxx

Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0465s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb