In Hill Country


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » Central Province
February 11th 2015
Published: February 16th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Tuktuk rideTuktuk rideTuktuk ride

...first sign of tea
Sorry about the delay, only just managed to get the photos uploaded! Lots of photos below!

So took a tuktuk from Kandy to Nuwara Eliya. After an hour or so, started the climb and the first sights of tea plantations appeared. Stopped off at a tea factory, free tour and cuppa, but kinda impossible not to part with some cash in the tea shop! Further up amazing views of the valley and reservoir, stopping to take in the sights. Alot more relaxing than the bus, hanging out the side. Then alot of vegatable plantation appeared, carrots, potatoes etc.



Nuwara eliya renound for its 'little england' looks didnt disappoint, and found a very quaint place to stay... Bit wierd really! Not much else going on there though... Went to the local bar for a few and got some very nice local food from the 'hotels' (local eateries).



Tried to take a hike the next day but apparently out of bounds to climb the biggest mountain in Sri Lanka, and a slightly failed attempt at spring hill, ended up climbing through the back garden of a local building project! Did discover the actually route once at
View down the valleyView down the valleyView down the valley

... Reservoir heading towards Adams peak
the bottom... Took a walk to the lake, pay to get 'in' so walked round the road instead. Same deal with the park and a few other places, bit wierd. Then time wasting until departure for Hatton the next day. Wouldn't bother even stopping off really!



So bus to Hatton and then another to Dalhousie, actually pretty quick trip. Found a hotel and had a wander. Not much going on, but found a nice hotel with beer and a good view of Adams peak! Early early night and up at 3am to start the climb. Actually pretty easy and not many people about, until 2 1/2 hrs later when you made it to the top where it was quite conjested. Managed to find a seat and awaited sunrise. Freezing cold! Bit disappointing as there was alot of cloud on the horizon but amazing views. Small temple on the top and then back down. Very busy, not your regular hike... wouldnt want to do it weekend or on a religious day! That said was amazing views on the way back down! Could prob just do it early morning though rather than for sunrise.



Back to
Nuwara EliyaNuwara EliyaNuwara Eliya

1 of 4 brilliant old signs outside Cargills.....Back in the days...
the room feeling pretty pleased and not as sore as predicted. Monkey mayhem had ensued in the room while we were out.... 'Sorry, should have told you to close the windows...', ' erm... Thanks i guess'. Measly half a pack of biscuits and the place looked like a bomb had gone off. Chewed all the toiletries, stole the tea(?), and caused general havoc. Mozzy net now hanging half attached to the cealing! Will be double checking the windows from now on! Although both sure we didnt open it anyway...



Bus straight back to Hatton and got train tickets to Ella. Pretty busy again so sat by the open door again watching the scenery go by, avoiding the long grass whiping your feet. Even better scenery as we went along, views all the way down to sea level. 4 hrs later arrived in Ella, lovely surrounding scenery, much more what you picture with Hill country. Much more touristy, and definitely no problem finding a place that sells beer.



Took a walk up to 'little adams peak', amazing views! And went to a green tea factory in the hope of getting some replacment tea! Great food,
Nuwara EliyaNuwara EliyaNuwara Eliya

View from Spring Hill
although a little hard to get the proper local experience like in other places. Second day took a hike up to Ella rock, more stupendous views, and a good section of walking down the train tracks, steeping aside for the occasional train. Definitely a recommended place to visit.



Moving on time tomorrow again, beach time and gonna try and visit a national park on the way! Get those binoculars out.... Although been doing a fair bit of wildlife spotting most days.... Bee eaters are the new fave....


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Adam's Peak.Adam's Peak.
Adam's Peak.

View towards the reservoir.
Adam's PeakAdam's Peak
Adam's Peak

Temple at the top
Adam's PeakAdam's Peak
Adam's Peak

View from the way down... Now nice and warm again!
Long day already...Long day already...
Long day already...

Waiting for the train in Hatton.
Train to Ella from HattonTrain to Ella from Hatton
Train to Ella from Hatton

.... Valley's of tea
Best seat on the trainBest seat on the train
Best seat on the train

Legs dangling out the door
Route to Ella RockRoute to Ella Rock
Route to Ella Rock

Train's so slow, pretty hard to get squished...
View from our balconyView from our balcony
View from our balcony

Rock view bungalow... Afternoon rains


Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0704s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb