Uda Walawe NP.


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » Southern Province » Matara
February 16th 2015
Published: February 17th 2015
Edit Blog Post

So left Ella early morning thinking there would be less people on the bus. At least 30 people waiting and only one bus an hour out of there! Most people go in via train but not really an ample outlet. So standing on the bus for an hour, whizzing round crazy bends until finally we reached the plateau. Got off at Thanamalwela Junction, onto another bus heading towards Colombo cross-country, to the entrance to Uda Walawe National Park. Were aiming to get there midday-ish so we could go into the park up until dusk, but arrived before 11am so just had a snack and decided to go in, leaving plenty of time to reach the coast afterwards.



3500 rs for a jeep plus driver and just under 6000 rs to both enter the park. Compared to the other most popular visited sites, actually on the reasonable side. So into a huge open sided jeep, picked up our guide and in we went. Within a couple of minutes, spotted some elephants. I know thats the point but felt a little too easy some how. Soon got into the swing of things though, bouncing along the dirt tracks, eyes peeled for the ellusive leopard and anything else that moved. No such luck, but saw some wild water buffalo, spotted deer, a crocodile, lizards, loads more elephants, 4 types of eagle, a fish owl and loads of other birds! Including some pied hornbills! Probably shouldnt be so excited but had been waiting to see those since Borneo. 2 1/2 hours later back at the entrance, well worth a trip!



Onto a bus to Embilipitiya, apparently the most direct route! Once there is definitely true but the bus took an hour to go 30k. Nice flat straight roads, scenic route but most of the time driving around 20k/hr! No real idea why but got there in the end. Normal bus to Thangalla, arrived in no time! The threatening rain clouds finally caught up with us and we hurried into a tuktuk towards the main strip on the beach. Loads of places were full. Was kindly escorted to a few shacks in the jungle as a solution. Saw some monkeys and kindly declined. Eventually found a little place with basic rooms but had nice chairs and a little private terrace.



Not the cleanest place ever and not much going on in the city itself, but one very long stretch of sand, numerous places dotted along and plenty of places to sit in the shade of a tree. Very chill, reading on loungers, splashing around in the sea, afternoon strolls followed by afternoon drinks on the terrace. Didnt even manage to get the camera out. Not the most exciting choices food-wise but still managed to get a good lunch rice and curry, and grilled fish for supper. Small change in pace after all the travelling! After 3 days decided to move on to Mirissa for a bit more variety. Will take some pics this time!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Water buffaloWater buffalo
Water buffalo

... Just about make out the Terrapin on the log.


Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0614s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb